Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M45

martin_h

I stepped into the garden at 3.30 Sunday morning and noticed Orion just rising, looked a bit higher and spotted M45, and for the first time could make it out without averted vision. The seeing must have been exceptional just then because not only could i see it directly, i could distinguish separation between the stars.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, martin_h said:

I stepped into the garden at 3.30 Sunday morning and noticed Orion just rising, looked a bit higher and spotted M45, and for the first time could make it out without averted vision. The seeing must have been exceptional just then because not only could i see it directly, i could distinguish separation between the stars.

Funny I took my first image this year of M45 last night.  A great sight.

• Like 1

comet-neowise-02-signature.jpg

Hmmm....

I would not have expected, that the Merope nebula in the Pleiades extends that far - must be some of the astrophotography magics. But, as a purely visual observer and a complete neophyte to AP, I am wiser now. 😉

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene

3 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

comet-neowise-02-signature.jpg

Hmmm....

I would not have expected, that the Merope nebula in the Pleiades extends that far - must be some of the astrophotography magics. But, as a purely visual observer and a complete neophyte to AP, I am wiser now. 😉

Stephan

Hi Stephan

You do realise that image is my 'signature', and unrelated to the above post 😇 I've attached my 5 x 2mins exposure from last night below:

Regards

Adam

M45-600s.jpg

• Like 3

The Pleiades are also affectionately known as The Seven Sisters, because visually with the unaided eye most people can count seven stars in the cluster. Some from a dark site can count more stars, and if the sky is transparent the entire cluster is bathed in nebulosity. 

...The Pleiades, rising through the mellow shade, Glitter like a swarm of fireflies Tangled in a silver braid.  -From Locksley Hall by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Below-  a sketch through a 4" refractor.

IMG_20160205_175527.JPG.8141fecf4ac4948e3e44ea9d7fe36d7a.thumb.JPG.e512d701025247fd0a534a0c3bd6e65e.JPG

• Like 4