Narrowband

Mars with Fullerscope - good seeing

CraigT82

Some decent seeing last night (predicted nicely by the Windy.com app), although transparency was poor with scudding cloud bands which played havoc with the histogram during capture. 

16x 120sec captures derotated to 00:45 UTC. Mare Cimmerium at centre with Sinus Gomer (the finger like dark area) nicely visible.

8.75" Fullerscope on EQ6

Altair 224C with Baader L filter and APM 2.7x barlow and ZWO ADC

2020-09-01-0044_4-Derotated_final1.png

• Like 32

Thanks for kind comments everyone. Unusually I think I nailed the processing the first time around, as I've  reprocessed the image several times with different settings/techniques and havent been able to improve it. First time for everything! 

Another great image Craig. Are you using the L filter to block UV an IR? 

I ask because I'm hoping to finally get round to doing some planetary imaging this year, and I have an IR block but that's all. I'll probably be using my Omegon 385 C which I think is similar to the 224, and not sure about UV sensitivity.

Also, are you adding in any IR? I thought you had done that previously to good effect. 

6 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Another great image Craig. Are you using the L filter to block UV an IR? 

I ask because I'm hoping to finally get round to doing some planetary imaging this year, and I have an IR block but that's all. I'll probably be using my Omegon 385 C which I think is similar to the 224, and not sure about UV sensitivity.

Also, are you adding in any IR? I thought you had done that previously to good effect. 

Thanks mate, yeah I'm using the Baader L filter (IR/UV block). You should get some nice results with the 385c. 

I sometimes shoot IR on mars but I don't usually add it to the RGB as it throws off the colour balance I feel, and the extra contrast it gives on the dark albedo features can look a bit unnatural, but that's just my own personal taste.