Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm done. I think... What did I miss?

Pryce

Hey yall!  It's me asking annoying questions again!

So as some of you may have noticed, I'm putting together my gear for astro photography and I just want to check in with yall about what I've ordered so far in case there's something I've forgotten/missed.

Not listed in the image below
My mount: EQ6-R Pro & SW 17Ah Powertank
My scope: Explorer 150P & Evostar 72ED
My cameras: EOS 550D, EOS 550D(in process of being astromodded) and a 1000D

And all the other stuff listed in the image below. 

So yeah, I'm sure I've missed something and I need your help to figure out what!
And yes I know. I've sinned. Focal reducer for the 72ED wasn't ordered from FLO(Their delivery time was way better)
1598532634_Utennavn.thumb.png.e07aa7ecf62a93f23f72a36976b674a1.png

12 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Eqdirect cable?

........ 🙄 Whats that? 

Necessary cables doesn't come with the mount?

Edit. So basically its a cable to connect the mpunt with the PC, right? Like this one?

I really expected that kind of stuff to come with the mount 😅

Edited by Pryce

The cables do not come with the mount as Skywatcher don't make them. You have linked to the correct cable that permits full control of your mount from a PC, Linux computer or MAC. All you have to decide it what length to buy.

Looks like a good setup you are purchasing.

2 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

The cables do not come with the mount as Skywatcher don't make them. You have linked to the correct cable that permits full control of your mount from a PC, Linux computer or MAC. All you have to decide it what length to buy.

Looks like a good setup you are purchasing.

Cheers! Might as well go for 5m right off the bat. It's better to have too much and not need it than need it and not have enough! 😁

3 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

You don't have to use an Eqdirect cable. It depends how you want to do your imaging. I seem to manage without ok.

Peter

Indeed, but I'd like to be able to control everything from my laptop.  Considering investing in a tent of some kind so I can have my laptop and myself in a warmer setting for winter.  So for a more "automated" process it seems I'd porbably need the EQdir cable!

Cheers lads! 
Anything else I've missed?

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

You will be getting 2x ASI120 mini’s, is that correct...? 😀

Oh, no, that's just the bundle.  For some reason it lists the ASI120 mini as a separate item from the bundle.

If your mount is the later version it will have a USB-B socket (like a printer) so a standard USB A-B cable will do. No need for a EQDIR cable to communicate with your computer, you do need to set the baud rate to 115200.

26 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

If your mount is the later version it will have a USB-B socket (like a printer) so a standard USB A-B cable will do. No need for a EQDIR cable to communicate with your computer, you do need to set the baud rate to 115200.

Baud rate will probably make sense when I get the mount and start fiddeling with it 😅

You might like to consider an ASIAIR and remote focuser, (mini computer with all software to give plug and play equipment imaging) an easy way to create a fully automated imaging setup. Note it will only work with ZWO equipment i.e EAF focuser, CMOS imaging/guide cameras. But it will work with other makes of DSLR cameras, you will need to check it will work with your DSLR’s.

Once put together the whole rig is controlled from an apple or android device using the ASI App, I believe there is software to run apps within a PC. 

I have included an image of my mobile setup using the ASIAIR, I control the complete system from an IPad. Setting up the equipment configuration is straight forward and the GUI is easy and intuitive. In this type setup there is only one cable that needs to be run between the imaging rig and mount, power. I have included extra power from a DC fuse box to the rig and mount, just me over engineering.

Note - you can configure the WiFi to connect to your home WiFi and control the system from anywhere in the home, provided you have connectivity.

Edited by Xsubmariner
Pics removed

5 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

You might like to consider an ASIAIR and remote focuser, (mini computer with all software to give plug and play equipment imaging) an easy way to create a fully automated imaging setup. Note it will only work with ZWO equipment i.e EAF focuser, CMOS imaging/guide cameras. But it will work with other makes of DSLR cameras, you will need to check it will work with your DSLR’s.

Don't want to hijack this thread, got an ASIAIR on order from FLO and been doing a bit of research but can't make out if it's got it's own guiding or uses PHD doesn't mention it in the manual.

Dave

3 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Surely if you're using USB then setting the baud rate doesn't come into it.  Presumably setting the baud rate is only applicable if using the older RS232 interface.

34 minutes ago, Seelive said:

Surely if you're using USB then setting the baud rate doesn't come into it.  Presumably setting the baud rate is only applicable if using the older RS232 interface.

I use KStars/Ekos and to get the mount and computer talking you have to set it to 115200, it might be something to do with drivers. 

2 hours ago, Pryce said:

Baud rate?  I am so confused.  

I guess it will make sense once I have the manual in hand and can start fiddeling with the mount.

It's just the speed of communication between two devices.  In simple terms, back in the day you had to ensure that the speed of broadcast matched the speed of reception.  Sometimes bits of the astronomy world takes a while to catch up which is why we've all still been using RS232 interfaces instead of USB on mounts until recently...

3 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Once put together the whole rig is controlled from an apple or android device using the ASI App, I believe there is software to run apps within a PC. 

I have included an image of my mobile setup using the ASIAIR, I control the complete system from an IPad. Setting up the equipment configuration is straight forward and the GUI is easy and intuitive. In this type setup there is only one cable that needs to be run between the imaging rig and mount, power. I have included extra power from a DC fuse box to the rig and mount, just me over engineering.

Note - you can configure the WiFi to connect to your home WiFi and control the system from anywhere in the home, provided you have connectivity.

Hi there and I am sorry if I am hijacking the thread. If a mod thinks my post should be moved, please point me in the right direction.

I want to create a setup for stargazing which is fully automated. Ideally every process like scope calibration, guiding, tracking, focusing and taking photos should be done through WiFi, preferably from an iPad tablet.

Planetary imaging is the main purpose. I don't really care about deep space imaging.

I want the whole setup to be rather cheap, small and light, at the expense of imaging quality.

I am a total noob (used to play with an ETX-70 lots of years ago), but I really need the functionality I have described above.

I am thinking of using the bellow components and kindly request that you correct/add to the list:

1) AstroFi 102

2) A ZWO camera suitable for planetary imaging (any ideas for less than or equal to $250)

3) An auto focuser and motor drive (any ideas)

4) Smth like an ASi air device?

Is a guider necessary for planetary imaging, by the way?

Do you think I am in the right path?

I still have not been able to really comprehend  the full picture. Is what I am asking for doable?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi Spaceboi, given your query covers automation, planetary imagery and equipment compatibility, may I suggest you start a new topic under Beginners: Getting started with imaging. That way your topic will get the appropriate exposure and likely wider support. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi Spaceboi, given your query covers automation, planetary imagery and equipment compatibility, may I suggest you start a new topic under Beginners: Getting started with imaging. That way your topic will get the appropriate exposure and likely wider support. 

Thanks a lot for the tip.