SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pillars of Creation captured with C11"

Lucas_M

M16 (or only what fits my sensor).

SHO Hubble Palette version

Sii 20x600s
Ha 21x600s
Oiii 23x600s

This type of image is something i'm loving to do. Big targets captured with a huge focal lenght.

For this image was 2050mm FL.

The C11" Edge HD has a great corrected field and no crop is needed. Astrophysics CCDT67 do the job puting telescope in a faster f/7 ratio and no distortion applied.

It's not so easy in this FL to run 600s subs in a intermediate mount like AZ-EQ6 with 70% payload reached.

I had time to play side by side with the famous Hubble version! 😅

SHO_5.thumb.png.9f8031c27e5d2e123dd2245f0f5c095b.png

Sem título-1.png

• Like 37

Excellent image.  I see lots of images taken via Edge scopes that have chromatic aberrations on the stars - my own images included.  No such artefacts in your image... I'd love to know if that is set-up or processing...

• Like 1

On 02/09/2020 at 13:28, x6gas said:

Excellent image.  I see lots of images taken via Edge scopes that have chromatic aberrations on the stars - my own images included.  No such artefacts in your image... I'd love to know if that is set-up or processing...

Hi! Thanks a lot!
Do you see chromatic aberration in images taken with mono or color cameras?
I'm sure you have more experience than me with telescopes (you have a great arsenal, so I don't want to repeat basics). The only element capable of generating refraction in the light is the corrector plate and some reducer added before the sensor. I have the Astrophysics CCDT67, but for sure, with no reducer we have less aberration possibility.
Is this aberration from low altitude objects on the horizon?

On 02/09/2020 at 13:34, Xiga said:

Very nice Lucas. 

What was your imaging scale for this, and what was your avg RMS in Phd2? 

Thanks very much!
The imaging scale was 0.38 arcsec/pixel.

My guider scale is far from ideal.
An OAG would be indicated, but I only have a 60 f4 refractor that gives me 2.42 arcsec/pixel in the guiding. As long as I keep the rms error below 1.5 in the PHD, the images have no problems.
Easier when limited to 300s exposure. This M16 was 600s subs and some had to be excluded because they exceeded this error limit.

1 hour ago, Lucas_M said:

Do you see chromatic aberration in images taken with mono or color cameras?

Both!  It doesn't matter whether you are using colour or mono if the scope is focussing the different wavelengths of light slightly differently.

You can actually see it in the wonderful image of NGC 253 that you posted recently... so perhaps it's the difference between broadband and narrowband imaging...

Anyway, top notch imaging!  Well done.

3 hours ago, Lucas_M said:

Thanks very much!
The imaging scale was 0.38 arcsec/pixel.

My guider scale is far from ideal.
An OAG would be indicated, but I only have a 60 f4 refractor that gives me 2.42 arcsec/pixel in the guiding. As long as I keep the rms error below 1.5 in the PHD, the images have no problems.
Easier when limited to 300s exposure. This M16 was 600s subs and some had to be excluded because they exceeded this error limit.

So much for the notion of having to guide at half the imaging scale! Pretty amazing Lucas.

Just goes to show what can be achieved by eschewing the norms.