SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Antares 1.6x barlow

Dantooine

I’ve been “making my mind up” on which way to go with my ethos. A power mate 2x or an Antares 1.6x.
I chose and ordered the Antares as it gave some really useful magnifications.
Have I done the right thing?? 

Optically the Antares 1.6x is good and it works well with the Ethos.

There can be issues with the amount of inwards focuser movement required to reach focus though, depending on the body design that you get.

I've owned a couple of them, one of the old set screw type and a more recent twist lock one. The latter seemed to need more inwards travel than the former.

If you can reach focus OK the optics suit the Ethos eyepieces well :smiley:

The Powermate does not change the focus position or effect eye relief (as barlows do) but the price tag is hefty and the Powermate 2x 2 inch is quite heavy.

They are both really useful so I don’t think you would have made the wrong choice buying either of them. As the Antares is not telecentric, you will find that both the focus position moves inward and the eye relief increases, but you may find the latter beneficial as the shorter length Ethos feel a little tighter anyway (maybe it’s just me?).

It is a well respected barlow that is both lighter and shorter than the 2x Powermate. There are various reports from people describing it as very transparent. I would have thought it would therefore be very well suited to your Ethos and refractor. 

Edited by Rob_UK_SE

22 minutes ago, John said:

The Powermate does not change the focus position or effect eye relief (as barlows do) but the price tag is hefty and the Powermate 2x 2 inch is quite heavy.

@John does the ES 2" 2x focal extender move the focus position?

Sorry @Dantooine for hijacking your thread but I've been searching for this info for a while without success and with John mentioning it re the powermate I just had to ask him.

25 minutes ago, globular said:

Sorry @Dantooine for hijacking your thread but I've been searching for this info for a while without success and with John mentioning it re the powermate I just had to ask him.

No problem. It’s all about finding out what you need to know. 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, globular said:

I have not used the ES 2" 2x FE so I can't be sure. If there is some movement, it should not be much because the design is similar to a Powermate.

Sorry that I can't be more help on that item.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rob_UK_SE said:

They are both really useful so I don’t think you would have made the wrong choice buying either of them. As the Antares is not telecentric, you will find that both the focus position moves inward and the eye relief increases, but you may find the latter beneficial as the shorter length Ethos feel a little tighter anyway (maybe it’s just me?).

It is a well respected barlow that is both lighter and shorter than the 2x Powermate. There are various reports from people describing it as very transparent. I would have thought it would therefore be very well suited to your Ethos and refractor. 

Those were my thoughts with reference to the 8 & 6. Hope I can get them to focus. 

31 minutes ago, globular said:

Having owned both, I am pretty sure both the Powermate and ES Tele Extender both required some inward travel, not huge amounts, but certainly some. They are both more expensive because of their telecentric nature (the focal point does not change).

Edited by Rob_UK_SE
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

The Antares gets some good reports. x1.6 is often more useful for visual than x2 - x2 often leads to duplicated magnifications whereas x1.6 fills gaps.

Thanks. Nice to have some backup on my reasoning. 

10 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Those were my thoughts with reference to the 8 & 6. Hope I can get them to focus. 

The 8mm and 6mm Ethos require a bit more out focus (than the others) so I would have thought you should be ok. The barlow might even bring them closer to the focus position of the others.

Edited by Rob_UK_SE
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rob_UK_SE said:

The 8mm and 6mm Ethos require a bit more out focus (than the others) so I would have thought you should be ok. The Barlow might even bring them closer to the focus position of the others.

Yes you are correct. I do have to crank the focuser for those two. Could work out quite well in the end 👍

1 hour ago, Rob_UK_SE said:

It’s good to know they work well together, I just hope they don’t squabble in the case once the lids closed. 

• Haha 1

I have one of these, and fitted a baader click lock i had lying around to it. According to Agena Astro's info you can also push the magnification by fitting it in front of a 2" diagonal giving approx 2.4x

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder, would this Barlow be useful in planetary imaging with a C9.25?

I am thinking about getting the ASI462 planetary camera myself. Adding the Barlow would raise the focal ratio to f/16 or so (and the focal distance).

N.F.

A great choice, I like mine and Antares is an excellent Canadian brand, assembled in Canada from some Canadian parts last I looked ! I always try and buy Antares, like 3 refractors, several diagonals, several eps and that barlow, lol ! And oh yes several of their Quick Lock diagonal ep adaptors !