SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did you do to your Kit today???

This is a usually fun thread on the other side of the pond so I thought I would get it going here.

Today I made a custom bracket to attach a ZWO EAF focus motor to an older Orion 10" F4.7 Newt I am fixing up for imaging.  It uses the finder shoe for attachment.

What did you do today ??????

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Orion 10 focus motor-3.JPG

• Like 2

Hello From the other other side of the pond.   Today i only examined and realized i need a lot.   Really a lot.   Ordered belts and wheels a week ago to make a motorfocus like your project.   So didn’t do much other then considering what else is needed.   And if my list of wanted items is finished, there will always pop up an advertisement of something i didnt even know needing it.  

Most of the pieces came from my ham radio "Ye Olde Junque Box" and the Vixen style adapter "toe" I found on E-Bay.  I got the belts and cog wheel from MPJA.com  All I had to do was drill and tap some holes and then screw it all together.  Hopefully this will give you some ideas.  Looking at threads like this give me good ideas for solving how to mount things.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Orion 10 focus motor-2.JPG

Nothing to the kit this week - though next weekend I plan to dismantle the lot, bring it all indoors, and clean up and apply fresh paint on the counterweights and some anti-rust stuff on the mount in general.

I did finally cave and buy a 3dconnexion Space Mouse for my observatory CAD work. Want to try and get the basic design turned into a more detailed design so I can get materials planned and costed.

• Like 1

Yesterday read up a lot on canon eos cameras as im slowky getting into imaging the planets and captured mars 2 nights ago and ended up ordering  a used 550D (have a 350D at the moment) and installed backyard eos on the laptop so looking forwards to being able to live view and focus and capture video then process

This made me read up on whats in the sky at the moment then i gave my lenses a good clean as well as the scope

Nothing exciting i guess but i do enjoy this side if the hobby which is reading up on things, research and reading what others are upto and achieving

Edited by PaulM
  • Like 1