Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replace 15x70s or move up to 20x80s?

jcj380

I want to replace my Celestron 15x70s with a better quality pair,  and I'm considering moving up to 20x80s.

I have tripods and fluid heads and all, so there would be no problem mounting them.

But I already have an 80mm f5 grab-and-go refractor and I'm just wondering if 20x80s would be redundant and 15x70s would be a better choice.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

• Like 1

That makes sense. Better 70mm binoculars, like the 16x Helios LightQuest-HR 70mm would be a major improvement over your current model,

while 20x80 binoculars would have to be really expensive to outperform your 80 mm telescope!

• Like 1

First pair arrrived broken, replacement pair was badly out of collimation out of the box.  I would have returned the second pair, but I waited too long.  I was able to adjust the collimation but only partway.  I had to use them pretty much as side-by-side monoculars.

So, I'm looking for good QC and something that holds collimation well.  If they should go out of collimation, I'd like something that can be recollimated well, preferably without shipping them to a repair company.

If I stay with 15x70s, the current frontrunners are Oberwerk Deluxe.

I can heartily recommend my Helios LightQuest 16x80 binoculars. I use them a lot, despite having a cracking good APM 80mm F/6 triplet. The Helios LightQuest 16x80 is about the same weight as the Helios Apollo 15x70s I had before, and clearly shows more detail and fainter objects than the Apollos. They are also easier to steady than the 20x80 model. Getting out a grab and go scope or grabbing binoculars just isn't the same thing. I do the latter much more than the former.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jcj380 said:

If I stay with 15x70s, the current frontrunners are Oberwerk Deluxe.

Have you had a look at the Bresser Spezial? Better usable eye relief and, (matter of preference) when it comes to those big eyepieces, I find pliable fold-down eye-cups far more comfortable than rigid twist-up ones.