Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why don't "For Sale" posts quote a price ?

lenscap

I've noticed that a large proportion of For Sale posts don't quote an asking price (until reminded by a Mod).

There will be a lyrical description of the kit, beautiful photos, a link to the manufacturer's data sheet, and no mention of a price !

The first thing I think of when considering a sale is "How much would I get for it ?", so it can't just be absent-mindedness. What's going on ?

There must be some deep, psychological reason . 😀

- deep down, they really don't want to sell the gear.

- mentioning money is just sooooh vulgar.

- the seller doesn't want their partner to know how much it must have cost new. 😀

So what are the real reasons ? Let's  have your thoughts.      

Edited by lenscap
typo

The mods and admins of the forum want the classifieds section to run with the lowest possible input from us. We will remind folks to put a price on but don't know why they don't always put one in - the rules are quite clear and we expect people who use that section to read them and abide by them just as they do the code of conduct for the forum as a whole. Here they are for those who would like to refresh their memory:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/260503-astro-classified-rules/

At one point we debated not having such a section and opinion was quite equally divided. We decided on balance to keep it but on the basis that it would require minimal input from the team.

We would much rather be enjoying the forum as a whole rather than running / policing a classifieds section :smiley:

• Thanks 1

I understand its part of the rules.  And thats really okay.  But a reason some people forget about it could be found in the way we offer in The Netherlands for example.  We have a marketplace that offers the option to ask for interested to bid on it.  Sometimes you are afraid of scaring of people with a high price and sometimes you dont know yourself what its worth.   So it is not that strange if someone forget to price their items. And the way the mods and even members remember those, is really friendly I think.

• Like 1

I think the reason is that they think they could be offered more than what they hope to get to begin with, if they do it this way. If they put a price, they inevitably set an upper limit: nobody is going to offer more than that, usually less. Unless the object is really sought after and there could be a bid war, but that's not usually the case.

An online Italian astromarket is like that, too. Sellers more often than not leave out the price. When asked for a price by potential buyers, they reply "private message sent". Obviously they are fishing for other offers, hoping that someone else would offer more. Otherwise they would put a price to begin with, or reply with a public message and with an asking price.

Me, as a buyer, if I don't see a price, I skip until I find a similar item with the asking price clearly stated. I don't fall for these mind games where the owner is just trying to squeeze every possible penny out of the deal. Be honest from the beginning and people will appreciate you more.

The one that 'grinds my gears' is folk who put up an advert and stating that they are 'testing the waters'.

What's that all about? They either want to sell it or they don't. Maybe they are hoping someone will offer a crazy high offer in which case they will sell it???

Seems very odd to me.

• Like 9

On grinding of gears. For me its buyers who dont post "pm sent" to let the rest of us know someone has made an expression of interest on an item. It's just common courtesy so the member selling something doesn't end up wasting there time replying to multiple PM's.

As to posting prices, knowing what is a realistic price may be a issue, i tend to go for the 60% to 70% area as is often the advice given here.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, endlessky said:

do it this way. If they put a price, they inevitably set an upper limit: nobody is going to offer more than that, usually less. Unless the object is really sought after and there could be a bid war

I was led to believe the reason for selling on here was to help fellow observers obtain items at very reasonable prices.
This is not eb••y.

Personally if I see things for sale for more than 70 percent of the new price I just laugh.

I have seen adds at 85 percent of new price lately. That’s not even a VAT discount... really 🤣

• Like 4

But in the present climate availability of new kit is a big issue, you might be prepared to pay over the ‘normal’ second hand price to get your hands on an item.

It’s a market so market forces will apply.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

When i sell something I ask what I want for the item. Its really quite simple.

That is a condition of using our classified section. End off issue really.

If you would prefer to use a 'proper' classified section as you put it, you clearly know the address for it. Please feel free.

If you want to use ours put a price in the advert. 

Ant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Robindonne said:

I understand its part of the rules.  And thats really okay.  But a reason some people forget about it could be found in the way we offer in The Netherlands for example.  We have a marketplace that offers the option to ask for interested to bid on it.  Sometimes you are afraid of scaring of people with a high price and sometimes you dont know yourself what its worth.   So it is not that strange if someone forget to price their items. And the way the mods and even members remember those, is really friendly I think.

Why not just state "Offers invited" then?

Sometime ago, I took Mrs R26 to a nice restaurant. We always look together at the menu, to decide what to order. But the menu had no prices on it. Then I realized that we were looking at her menu, while mine had the prices printed. Now that's posh!!

Perhaps certain SGL classifieds have an embedded "hide the price from the Mrs" code. 🤑🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Sometime ago, I took Mrs R26 to a nice restaurant. We always look together at the menu, to decide what to order. But the menu had no prices on it. Then I realized that we were looking at her menu, while mine had the prices printed. Now that's posh!!

Perhaps certain SGL classifieds have an embedded "hide the price from the Mrs" code. 🤑🤣

Can retailers do that for new kit as well?😉

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Not if you use the frequent £1.00 selling fee promotions on eBay. But still selling astro stuff on eBay is a bit of a last resort when you have places like ABS and SGL. 

Lack of photos also puts me off buying anything. I mean if you can’t be bothered to take a photo or two I can’t be bothered buying. If you state photos to be posted later at least I would come back later to take a look.

53 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Lack of photos also puts me off buying anything. I mean if you can’t be bothered to take a photo or two I can’t be bothered buying. If you state photos to be posted later at least I would come back later to take a look.

I prefer photos of the actual item being sold, and not a link to a retailers website.

Edited by TerryJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1