Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help - I can't decide on which 4" frac

Thanks all for your positive  comments folks. I think I’ll have a lot of fun using the scope and get a lot of pleasure from owning it. If it’s anywhere near as good as the Vixen ED102SS I’ll be a happy bunny. 👍 

In anticipation of its arrival I have bought a used 2” Astronomik UHC filter to go with the 38mm Panaview. Hoping this will be nice for larger nebs. 

I think I need to stop spending now! 😬

...although I do need a padded bag.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

After much consideration, I have been brave and pulled the trigger .......

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-102ed-r-fpl53-refractor-459-p.asp

We’ll see what happens next! 

Congratulations, it’s quality. You will be sure you made the right choice when you open the box. Make sure you have a good case for it and I always put a cap with desiccant in the end after each use. 

• Like 2

For everyone's interest I tried several suppliers and the only one who answered the phone was Rupert at Astrograph. An extremely helpful chap who told me a lot about the Tecnosky scope, and confirmed it was the same as the TS and AA scopes. I really wanted to give him my business but I just felt the Altair Astro scope was the safer bet. But I will look to purchase from him in future. 

The lens is from Kunming United Optics. It is FPL-53 (he indicated it is likely to be better quality glass than the SW) with a Lanthanum mating element. What I didn’t realise is that Lanthanum is a coating which increases the refractive index rather than a glass type  ...at least that what he said! Perhaps someone more knowledgable can explain. 

34 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Thanks all for your positive  comments folks. I think I’ll have a lot of fun using the scope and get a lot of pleasure from owning it. If it’s anywhere near as good as the Vixen ED102SS I’ll be a happy bunny. 👍 

In anticipation of its arrival I have bought a used 2” Astronomik UHC filter to go with the 38mm Panaview. Hoping this will be nice for larger nebs. 

I think I need to stop spending now! 😬

...although I do need a padded bag.....

Nice one... good luck with that new scope, it looks really excellent 😀

Oh and even better luck with stopping the spending too 🤣

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, John said:

The spending often starts when a nice scope arrives ....... :rolleyes2:

We don't want any "weak links" in the optical chain, do we ? :evil:

I'm sure the views will be lovely :smiley:

Expensive overcoming weak links. I’ve no excuses now just myself 😏

• Like 3