Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

This video is intended to be for someone who is thinking of buying their first scope but isn't sure which one is best.  I would love it to be a good jumping off point for discussion and I hope some wise heads will wade in and answer questions and offer alternative opinions. Thx to astrostace and helena's astro and deddy dayag for contributing. I fear I'm going to have my head down making my next video as I'm currently astrobiscuiting full time (or at least till my loan runs out!). So all help  much appreciated. 😉

https://youtu.be/Na-aBhc_gTY

which scopev3.png

Edited by rorymultistorey
  • Like 5

Hi rory. I'm neither looking for a first scope, nor a wise head I'm afraid.😉 Only started this hobby this year and have a 200p dob which I'm really happy with. Your videos are great, and I have tried taking videos of the planets (with varying success) after watching your one of them. Anyway, thanks for the great content👍

Regards

Dafydd

• Like 1

I really enjoyed that, 15 mins well spent! Im not a beginner but I do appreciate all the production thats gone into your vids and that is really key to getting people into the channel I think. Looking forward to the next one

thx fellas glad you liked it... not sure spending a long time making a quality video wins out over someone just yapping on youtube but I'm gnna find out.

2 hours ago, rorymultistorey said:

not sure spending a long time making a quality video wins out over someone just yapping on youtube but I'm gnna find out.

I hope it does. I really enjoy your videos and I know quite a few other fans as well. Hopefully the nature of the subject and audience will reward the greater time and effort you put it into it.

Then again, I cannot begin to understand the appeal of spending hours watching other people play video games and taking things out of boxes, so what do I know about what works on YouTube? 🤔

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarsG76
      This is a close up of IC 2944, also known as the Running Chicken Nebula or the λ Centauri Nebula, with the Bok Globules visible in the upper third of the frame. IC2944 is an open cluster with an associated emission nebula found in the constellation Centaurus, near the star λ Centauri. This image was exposed using a Cooled and full spectrum astro modded DSLR through a 8" SCT at it's native 2032mm (f10) focal length. The total exposure time was 8 hours and 25 minutes, through a UV/IR filter to capture natural colour data.
    • By MarsG76
      The view of the deep southern part of the Milkyway around the Southern Cross, Crux, and Centaurus region. This image was taken with a Canon 5D mk4 using a Canon L-series 24-105mm Lens set to f4. Image taken from a mountain, a dark(ish) location, down southern part of NSW near Kiama, called Saddleback Mountain.
    • By MarsG76
      NGC 6357 is a nebula about 5500 light years away in the constellation Scorpius near the better known NGC 6334, AKA the "Cat's Paw" or "Bear Paw" nebula. This nebula was also given the name War and Peace Nebula because of its appearance in infrared images, the bright western part resembles a dove and the eastern part looks like a skull. This photo was taken through a 8" SCT at f6.3 (1280mm focal length) and exposed using a full spectrum modded and cooled Canon 40D DSLR.
    • By MarsG76
      NGC 6357 is about 5500 light years away in the constellation Scorpius near the better known NGC 6334, AKA the "Cat's Paw" or "Bear Paw" nebula. This nebula was also given the name War and Peace Nebula because of its appearance in infrared images, the bright western part resembles a dove and the eastern part looks like a skull. This photo was taken through a Celestron C8 8" SCT at f6.3 (1280mm focal length), tracked on the CGEM and exposed using a full spectrum modded and cooled Canon 40D DSLR. Total exposure time through the SII, HAlpha and OIII filters was 40 hours.
    • By darkenergystar37
      Hello there,
      I'm trying to reignite my interest in astronomy after a few years off.  I want to get into imaging (not in an expensive way) beginning with a simple setup.  A few nights ago I was in my back garden with my Sky-Watcher Heritage-76 Mini Dobsonian and Canon EOS M camera connected to an eyepiece adapter (this one.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-93640-Universal-Barlow-T-Adaptor/dp/B00009X3UV/ref=asc_df_B00009X3UV/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309904628344&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9227521492625195769&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045736&hvtargid=pla-403917112227&psc=1&th=1&psc=1).  I pointed my scope at the setting half moon and all I could see was a huge orange blob with a black circle in the middle, obviously this has something to do with focusing so what do I need to get this to work as my setup is already nearly bottom-heavy?
      Either that or it might be a lot easier to use my Pixel 5 phone connected to the eyepiece, can anyone recommend a good adapter for this please?  I've seen this on Amazon.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Svbony-Universal-Cellphone-Binocular-Monocular-Black/dp/B016EILBAY/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2D2EEIA81TKYX&dchild=1&keywords=mobile+phone+telescope+adapter&qid=1606225704&sprefix=mobile+phone+tele%2Celectronics%2C175&sr=8-10, but folks say they've had mixed results.
      Thanks very much.
      Rick.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.