SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

No link to mount stand alone mode

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm a beginner astronomer. After two months of fault free use, with a Skywatcher 16 inch  Netwtonion GOTO Dobson mount .(https://www.highpointscientific.com/sky-watcher-14-inch-goto-collapsible-dobsonian-s11830) that I bought used,  I went out early this morning to snap a few pictures of  Orion Nebula and Andromeda. I powered the scope up and I get the error message  " No link to mount stand alone mode" on the SynscanAZ handset .

I have checked and cleaned all the connections, especially the RJ45 cable that connects the motor control box on the side to the motor unit on the base.  The  scope is powered by a Baader power supply rated at 12.8 V I have tested this and it reads 13.2 Volts. The whole assembly has been working fine since June. 

For the past few week, I've been leaving this beast outside, covered it with a foil telescope cover when not in use. I'm just outside Valencia, Spain and temps have been between 32in the afternoon and 17 C at night, with the very very  occasional light shower. 

From reading around this site and other forums, my suspicion is that it is either the RJ45 cable or the Motor Controller (I hope not).  

So my questions are:

1) Am I missing something? Does anyone have an easy fix for this problem (please)

2)  Can I use a standard data cable with RJ45  to test the connection to the base motor  - instead of the RJ45 cable supplied (the color sequence in the RJ45 seems to be the same as a computer cable I have with RJ45s). Just cautious here. cos I've read that its easy to blow the MC!

3) Is it possible that the MC got fried in the sun -even if protected by the foil cover?

One final piece of information: As a double check that its not a problem with the SynscanAZ  hand controller, I also have a Synscan WIFI controller - that I use to control the mount with a Synscan app on my iPhone (instead of the SynscanAZ handset).  This also fails to connect.  The WIFI unit  flashes  green a couple of times , then  I I get the error message "Cannot Connect - WiFi not connected" (even though my phone shows that Im connect to the SynScan WIFI signal.). Actually, was using this wifi device routinely, cos its so much easier to use than the SynscanAZ handset). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_7107.thumb.jpeg.a8ed26a1dc141939a5c10cb4ba094be1.jpeg

IMG_7116.jpeg

IMG_7111.jpeg

IMG_7105.jpeg

Well it's either the handset, the controller or the cable. Most likely is the cable (but from other posts, the Skywatcher electronics don't appear to be particulary bomb proof but they probably only fail when people incorrectly connect other equipment).

This previous thread suggests using a Cat5 cable between the handset and the controller to check if it is the cable or not:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/358418-synscan-controller-only-working-if-powered-by-usb/

I haven't tried it so take no responsibility!

thanks guys - 2 updates-

1) About an hour ago I tried again - the SynscanAZ handset now does not give me the  "No link to mount" error message." anymore? So a slight improvement! Not sure what's going on here?

It now initializes correctly and lets me enter coordinates, date and time, and choose yes or no for alignment.... BUT then it get stuck at the second level of the menu tree - for example if go SETUP/AUTO TRACKING.  I cannot ESC from AUTO TRACKING or move the scope with the directional buttons. I have to switch off power button on scope and re-initialize.

And the Synscan WIFI connector still cannot connect at all.

2) After reading the link that Seelive posted, I tested the Skywatcher RJ45-RJ45 cable by using it to connect  my home router to my laptop... works fine. This is the cable that connects the side motor panel to the base motor panel.

Since I'm also having a problem connecting with the Synscan WIFI unit - (i.e. not just the SynscanAZ handset) , and the RJ45-RJ45 cable appears to be Ok,.. Im thinking somethings up with the control box electronics  or firmware on the mount (https://www.skywatcherusa.com/products/synscan-wifi-adapter)

I tried resetting FACTORY SETTINGS on Synscan AZ - no change

At this stage I suspect its a problem with the MC firmware- and or SynscanAZ firmware.

I will try and update the MC firmware using the link from the skwywatcher site. I will try the update specifically designed to work with SynScan WIFI dongle that I had been using for the past couple of months.

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

"Windows program: Motor Controller Firmware Loader - WiFi, Version 1.74 This application is used to update the motor controller's firmware of a Skywatcher telescope mount, which has a built-in Wi-Fi module or an external SynScan Wi-Fi dongle."

Edited by Mikeshuerto
more info

2) After reading the link that Seelive posted, I tested the Skywatcher RJ45-RJ45 cable by using it to connect  my home router to my laptop... works fine. 

The standard ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 pins of the RJ45 connector. I'm not sure exactly how many pins SynScan uses (I've seen it somewhere and I'm sure it's more than 4) so it you have an intermittent connection on one of the pins ethernet doesn't use but SynScan does, then you wouldn't see a problem with the cable just by connecting it between your router and laptop. 

• 1 month later...

Problem now solved. It was a blown PIC on the Alt MCB. Malcom on this site kindly reprogrammed a new PIC and sent it to me, a friend then installed it on my MCB and voila! it works fine now. For full details of this problem,and two other examples of where the same problems was solved please see this link.   

• Like 2