Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frustrating,isn’t it ?

On 29/08/2020 at 23:04, Star101 said:

Thinking positive. If we had clear nights every night, I think, one would soon get blasé about the night sky. The slim chance of a clear slot between the clouds gives us the exciting impetus to stargaze. :)

Also, take these cloudy nights as nights of rest....you will need them for when the sky does clear soon ;) 

Yes I suppose too much of a good thing makes one want less . Good point 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:
On 29/08/2020 at 15:06, NGC 1502 said:

Frustrating ?  Don’t agree, sometimes it can be VERY frustrating.

However, when everything comes together and you have a great session, the frustration melts away and you know why you do this great hobby of ours....

So , August 31st ... an update ! And , just in case everyone thinks I’m a manic depressive that does nothing but complain about the weather , I have to report that last night (ie 31st) I have literally had my best night of backyard astronomy for a very long time . The clouds cleared during the evening and when darkness fell I was on totally clear skies .Apart from setting up with my view blocked by an annoying tree (schoolboy error) and there being enough dew to water my wife’s roses for a whole year , everything settled down and I had brilliant views of both Jupiter and Saturn . Considering their lack of height in our sky I saw three bands on Jupiter and , best of all I picked out the Cassini division on Saturn. . Not too bad for my light polluted back garden . I used my 200mm dob ( my only scope now ) , staying out until about 11pm ( I have to get up at 5 ,you know ! ) . Viewing the moon was fantastic as it’s not quite “full” . It was so bright .. I just used a 25mm EP . Just one clear evening has left me gagging for more . One more point .. my scope holds collimating remarkably well .it always has to go on a maze like journey to get from my wardrobe to the garden so I am really surprised that I haven’t had to collimate it . Bit of a positive bonus In my book . 
Anyway , I hope everyone had good clear skies last night , and I wish you all many many more .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So , August 31st ... an update ! And , just in case everyone thinks I’m a manic depressive that does nothing but complain about the weather , I have to report that last night (ie 31st) I have literally had my best night of backyard astronomy for a very long time . The clouds cleared during the evening and when darkness fell I was on totally clear skies .Apart from setting up with my view blocked by an annoying tree (schoolboy error) and there being enough dew to water my wife’s roses for a whole year , everything settled down and I had brilliant views of both Jupiter and Saturn . Considering their lack of height in our sky I saw three bands on Jupiter and , best of all I picked out the Cassini division on Saturn. . Not too bad for my light polluted back garden . I used my 200mm dob ( my only scope now ) , staying out until about 11pm ( I have to get up at 5 ,you know ! ) . Viewing the moon was fantastic as it’s not quite “full” . It was so bright .. I just used a 25mm EP . Just one clear evening has left me gagging for more . One more point .. my scope holds collimating remarkably well .it always has to go on a maze like journey to get from my wardrobe to the garden so I am really surprised that I haven’t had to collimate it . Bit of a positive bonus In my book . 
Anyway , I hope everyone had good clear skies last night , and I wish you all many many more .

That’s fantastic news, Stu. Jupiter and Saturn are rather special so what great targets for your new telescope’s first outing. Given the larger aperture of your dob, you could use a ND filter to reduce some of the overall brightness of the moon - if you enjoyed observing nearer to its full phase.

You may already be familiar with these targets, but if not: it’s worth heading to Lyra where you could explore both the Ring Nebula (M57) as well as the double double (near Vega). I would also recommend exploring Hercules which is still in a fair position. Both M13 and M92 are lovely clusters. Another good target (from light polluted skies) is Albireo in Cygnus. In a similar part of the sky to Jupiter and Saturn, but higher, is the wild duck cluster (M11) in Scutum which is also rather nice. 

Edited by Rob_UK_SE
  • Like 1

Rob , I didnt realise how much i missed the Dob until i parted company with my last one (a 250mm bresser) I have used a fair few refractors recently , all good scopes  .. but , somehow i think i've (finally) found the right one for me . Easier to store , easier to move , its a joy to use . Of course my scope resurfaces old challenges , ie finding the targets rather than using a goto. The wonders of the night sky that you mention are all firmly on the agenda . I particularly want to see M57 . 

Anyway , onwards and definitely upwards ... 

CLEAR SKIES 

7 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Stu,
I've upgraded from an EQ3 to EQ6 and had Sunday night for the first trip out since it arrived a month ago! So nice to have great skies and a mount that doesn't let the scope wobble when one even approaches it! Jupiter, Saturn & moon were my chosen targets and I just sat in awe! Last night was similar and I'm sure many enjoyed 2 nights of clear(er) skies! The EQ6 from FLO box does warn about the sun, but clouds too! Anyone else noticed this sticker?!

Happy observing!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pete_81 said:

Hi Stu,
I've upgraded from an EQ3 to EQ6 and had Sunday night for the first trip out since it arrived a month ago! So nice to have great skies and a mount that doesn't let the scope wobble when one even approaches it! Jupiter, Saturn & moon were my chosen targets and I just sat in awe! Last night was similar and I'm sure many enjoyed 2 nights of clear(er) skies! The EQ6 from FLO box does warn about the sun, but clouds too! Anyone else noticed this sticker?!

Happy observing!

Yeah its a nice touch supplied on their packaging :)