Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 26 August 2020

mikeDnight

Rising in the east, the planet improved between the course of the two sketches, but I was eager to observe it sooner rather than later, as I'm getting paranoid about clouds watching my every move. Rotation was very noticeable as the observations progressed and the seeing was intermittently turbulent which made things a little difficult.

I used a prism diagonal in my refractor, so north is top but image reversed.

IMG_7466.thumb.jpg.672eac7b1192337dc395a70849575037.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful sketches Mike, you've picked up so much subtle detail, even at that lowly altitude. These premium 100mm scopes really seem to shine on planets. On my recent view of Mars with the 150PL I was not so aware of the lighter/whiter features, I'll have to see if I can pick them up on my next outing. :thumbright:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Wonderful sketches Mike, you've picked up so much subtle detail, even at that lowly altitude. These premium 100mm scopes really seem to shine on planets. On my recent view of Mars with the 150PL I was not so aware of the lighter/whiter features, I'll have to see if I can pick them up on my next outing. :thumbright:

Thanks Robert,

With regard to the lighter or white features, I often look for those first starting with the polar cap and mists and clouds on the limb. I find that more often than not they lead my eye into the more subtle features. Not only Mars but bright cusps and spots along the terminator of Venus can help to reveal subtle shadings on the cloud tops. Although I didn't use any colour filters in my Mars observations, a blue 80A filter can really help to enhance the positions of brighter areas, while an orange 21 filter can bring out the darks.  Could be worth trying!

Regards, Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Thanks Robert,

With regard to the lighter or white features, I often look for those first starting with the polar cap and mists and clouds on the limb. I find that more often than not they lead my eye into the more subtle features. Not only Mars but bright cusps and spots along the terminator of Venus can help to reveal subtle shadings on the cloud tops. Although I didn't use any colour filters in my Mars observations, a blue 80A filter can really help to enhance the positions of brighter areas, while an orange 21 filter can bring out the darks.  Could be worth trying!

Regards, Mike

Thanks for the tips Mike, I will try your technique, and I also think I have those filters which is good news. :)

• Like 1

Great sketches Mike. I always enjoy the subtle detail you manage to pick out. I often find that when I sketch, I'm too eager to see the finished product and often end up rushing a little, but of course the more time at the EP the more detail can be seen.. That's where experience comes into play I guess..

Mark

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mark81 said:

Great sketches Mike. I always enjoy the subtle detail you manage to pick out. I often find that when I sketch, I'm too eager to see the finished product and often end up rushing a little, but of course the more time at the EP the more detail can be seen.. That's where experience comes into play I guess..

Mark

Thanks Mark. The sketch above is a cleaned up version of the scribblings I make at the eyepiece, and each drawing represents between ten and fifteen minutes of study. It can be a little tricky placing features too, because over that time the planet noticeably rotates messing up my placement of features. I hope you keep up with the sketching Mark, as no matter what the finished result looks like, the process helps with concentration and I honestly believe helps you see more. ☺

• Like 1