SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wideshot centered on Deneb in 18mm

Forgot to take flats, but shot some 20 darks and 20 bias.

10 x 240 seconds unguided

Nikon D5300

Celestron AVX mount

18-300mm lens @ 18mm F 3.5

ISO 400

Can see some vignetting due to no flats but overall nice picture. 1st one more or less straight out off DSS, other one postprocessed in PS. In retrospect I should not have shrinked the stars so much, because I like how "explosive" the image feels when the stars are so visible.

Might try another postprocess somewhere in between these two.

Taken 2 weeks ago. Pretty dark.

Have a nice day :)

WidefieldDeneb1.jpg

WidefieldDenebfinal.jpg

Edited by Peter77
  • Like 11

8 hours ago, SkyJamie said:

Nice one Peter :)

With no guiding and that wide FOV makes me wonder if i could do something similar on my CG5 GT, hmm...

I don't see why you couldn't :) That mount is the predecessor of the AVX iirc? Should have similar capabilities, and also that low fl is very forgiving :) I even forgot to do a proper polaralign for this shot, just sighted in Polaris over the mount saddle.

Edited by Peter77
  • Like 1

Yes i think the CG5 GT is the older version of your mount. 

I did some widefield's of the same area the other day using the nifty-fifty for 30 sec exposures, no guiding and the stars were sharp but i didn't consider going for as long as you did with no guiding so will definitely give it a try sometime :)

20 hours ago, SkyJamie said:

Yes i think the CG5 GT is the older version of your mount. 

I did some widefield's of the same area the other day using the nifty-fifty for 30 sec exposures, no guiding and the stars were sharp but i didn't consider going for as long as you did with no guiding so will definitely give it a try sometime :)

Yeah do so :) Maybe you cannot go 240 or above seconds with 50mm but you don't know until you try, you can just try with an exposure for say 240 or 320 seconds and then analyze that frame and see how the stars look, if they look okay just fire away :)

I generally tend to not think "I cannot do this" but rather "What if I can?" which tend to open up much more possibilities :)  So give it a go and see what the result is. We're going to have clear weather in Sweden Sunday night so if the prognosis is true, I will probably go out and do another sequence :)

Edited by Peter77
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I do like the processed version a lot, the pink nebulosity really shines :D

Thank you :) I just felt I maybe processed it too hard and since it's always fun to go back and reprocess the data with new learned insights and ideas, I might do just that some day. But overall happy :)

6 hours ago, kev said:

That image is REALLY nice!

Thank you! Always nice to get an opinion from another set of eyes. May I ask which version you prefer the most? :)

Edited by Peter77