SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Visual filter recommendations

Afternoon all,

I’m looking for advice on any visual filters and and recommendations you might have.

My scope is a Nexstar 8se and I only use 1.25 inch eyepieces. I mostly look at planets but not completely limited to this area.

ive done some research and a neodymium one pops up every now and again as a good all rounder, but I know nothing about filters.

i seem to have a set from a long long time ago (I don’t even think I have ever used them, or remember buying them) - photo attached. I just think these are cheaper colour enhancers I guess.

just after a bit of advice.

thanks

B5D85D88-01F4-4474-85D1-4898C4503E4F.jpeg

Yes the neodynium filter is the best all round moon and planetary filter.  I too have a set of coloured filters which are never used.

Second most useful filter is a variable polarising filter for use on the moon and Venus.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html

+1 for the Neodymium. I think of it as 'the Swiss-army knife' filter for visual observing.

The image you have are OK for teasing out planetary disc detail; (the coloured ones): even the ND96: (the left one); may help a little, though mainly it is used for lunar, I use a variable polarising filter. Same thing, but has two rotating filters., i.e. same principle as a photography variable polarising filter. If you want to tease more detail for nebula, DSO's, etc., then UHC and O-lll are worth having as well. I have the Explore Scientific ones of these. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, johninderby said:

My neodynium filter is left just about permanently in the diagonal as it’s such a useful all round filter and not just for planetary. 🙂

Well that settles it, I think I’ll start with the neo filter and possibly go from there.

I don’t want to spend a load of money in an area I don’t know much about, so maybe more research is in order. But the neo filter does sound like a great all rounder from your comments and something I will look to buy.

thank you for your help.

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy38416 said:

My scope is a Nexstar 8se and I only use 1.25 inch eyepieces. I mostly look at planets but not completely limited to this area.

Hi Andy, I also have Nexstar 8se.

For future reference you maybe should be looking at some Messier objects with your scope.

I have just acquired a Astronomik UHC filter, and last Saturday manage to see M27 Dumbbell Nebula which stood right out.

Also M13 Globular Cluster and the Double Cluster, I'm starting to go through the list.

2 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Hi Andy, I also have Nexstar 8se.

For future reference you maybe should be looking at some Messier objects with your scope.

I have just acquired a Astronomik UHC filter, and last Saturday manage to see M27 Dumbbell Nebula which stood right out.

Also M13 Globular Cluster and the Double Cluster, I'm starting to go through the list.

I’m trying to get out and about when I can. I only brought the 8se a few weeks ago and already invested in a dielectric diagonal, 3 BST eyepieces, a dewshield and a new red dot finder. 
I just need a decent session time with it, I’m also getting used to aligning, which I have found easy and works every time, but I did have a Nexstar SLT before which helps.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, johninderby said:

My neodynium filter is left just about permanently in the diagonal as it’s such a useful all round filter and not just for planetary. 🙂

Mine is left off so I can fit it on my Baader Planetarium ETX to SCT adapter ring using the internal (middle) thread...

2958500A_gross_Baader_Planetarium.jpg.0d68f15cc84ed56ca0a278dec027f14e.jpg

before adding a 1.25" or 2" visual back or other SCT accessory.

9 minutes ago, John said:

Deep sky filters such as UHC and O-III  don't really help with galaxies and clusters. Nebulae are the targets that they enhance, some more than others.

Agree John, I used it for M27 and it was lovely, pulled it right out.

Can't wait for M42

Edited by Mick H

I found an O-III an excellent purchase for certain nebs, and also have a UHC.

In my 10" dob, I found a filter wheel a wonderful addition!  At the flick of a finger, i could change between no filter, O-III, UHC, a neutral density, and I threw in a blue or green filter just because there was another slot - rarely used.  The wheel really meant I explored the effects of the different filters.

Unfortunately I can't use the wheel on my 15", but might get a astrocrumb filter slide at some point.  I'm tempted to try a neodymium too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2020 at 21:55, niallk said:

I found an O-III an excellent purchase for certain nebs, and also have a UHC.

In my 10" dob, I found a filter wheel a wonderful addition!  At the flick of a finger, i could change between no filter, O-III, UHC, a neutral density, and I threw in a blue or green filter just because there was another slot - rarely used.  The wheel really meant I explored the effects of the different filters.

Unfortunately I can't use the wheel on my 15", but might get a astrocrumb filter slide at some point.  I'm tempted to try a neodymium too!

What filter wheel did you have for your dob don’t mind me asking?

Ross

15 hours ago, spideypowers said:

What filter wheel did you have for your dob don’t mind me asking?

Ross

Hi, this one:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5560_TS-Optics-Filter-Wheel-for-5x-1-25--filters---T2-and-1-25--connection.html

It worked perfectly with my 250px, but I didn't have enough inward focus travel for use on my Dob - plus I use a Paracorr.

However the ability to flick between filters was so nice - no taking the EP out, screwing on the filter only to find you've bumped the scope off target... This is a game changer for high power on small planetaries for example!!