Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB HUB

Hi

I'm working on remote access for my setup and am looking for a USB hub which can connect my cameras, mount etc to the laptop via ethernet.

There are quite a few on Amazon etc but most seem designed to plug into your computer to get extra USB plus wired ethernet.

An example on Amazon

Does anyone use such a device which doesn't need connectedto  a computer, or know of one they'd recommend?

Thanks

Michael

4 hours ago, Synchronicity said:

Hi

I'm working on remote access for my setup and am looking for a USB hub which can connect my cameras, mount etc to the laptop via ethernet.

There are quite a few on Amazon etc but most seem designed to plug into your computer to get extra USB plus wired ethernet.

An example on Amazon

Does anyone use such a device which doesn't need connectedto  a computer, or know of one they'd recommend?

Thanks

Michael

You confused me slightly with 'ethernet', but I think you mean 'wi-fi'. This is the sort of device you are looking for USB Wifi adaptor 

Unfortunately I cannot find one that is current - they seem to have had their day now every device has wi-fi. You could look for a wi-fi extender or travel router with usb ports which might serve for what you want. 

• Like 1

Had you considered adding 'bluetooth' to your search query?  That tech seems to have had a resurgeance in recent times, there might be a USB -> Bluetooth device that you can chain together with a standard USB hub, or something along those lines.  Adding Bluetooth to a computer is very easy, although the range and data transfer rate is not as good as with modern wifi.

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 1

Thanks folks but I did mean 'wired' ethernet. I have been using a USB  extension cable up to now but I'm putting in a pier and running a data cable from it to my home hub so just need something to interface with the devices.

WiFi is great but I live in a 100 year old house with solid walls that seriously limit coverage.

I hadn't thought of looking for some sort of 'point to point' Bluetooth or WiFi device where I could have the receiver on the wall outside and wired from there so I'll look into that.

All the best

Michael

I think you do mean a wired USB hub.

This one is 12v powered and so if you have a decent 12v supply already powering your mount and astro gear then its ideal, metal construction and comes recommended by others (on SGL) , I am considering one myself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SCE4E0I/?coliid=I31SQ4DM73TPH0&colid=O8D8T0874ZQT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Image11.jpg

• Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 11:27, fifeskies said:

I think you do mean a wired USB hub.

This one is 12v powered and so if you have a decent 12v supply already powering your mount and astro gear then its ideal, metal construction and comes recommended by others (on SGL) , I am considering one myself.

Thanks for posting but I really do mean something that can combine the USB connections to my devices and then transfer the daya down a CAT 6 network cable.  I've got hub similar to the one you show and feed the data down a USB extender cable at the moment but I'm doing a permanent installation to a pier and the cable route is way too long for USB.  All USB to network adapters I can find seem to be for adding wired network to a computer using a USB port so I don't know if they would work directly to devices.

Michael

You could buy a Primaluce Eagle- or MHP from Hitech Astro.

I use a MHP mini and have Gemini II goto with my G11. I can plug all my imaging gear, power and USB via the MHP mini and run two cables from my pier that's a single USB Extension Repeater cable and an Ethernet cable for the Gemini II.

My cables are typically 10 meters in length. And I don't have any problems with USB connectivity.

I use the USB for Cameras (CCD and DSLR) and a Filter Wheel.

The Eagle is very good as it is Wireless and will connect via your Laptop Wireless adaptor. It isn't cheap but this might be the only option for what you want to do.

• Like 1

There is a solution I know of that I think matches your requirements

USB connections combined into a single Cat6 sender

The receiver outputs these into a single USB output

Unfortunately this is expensive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-2-0-Over-Cat5-Extender-Cost-effective-Black/dp/B00T9RTT2U/ref=psdc_949408031_t3_B01NBN1HD3

There are probably more economically priced versions.

This one is rated for 50m or so

If you need the 100m version of this,  its seriously more expensive

81MB+u2I5bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

Thanks for posting but I really do mean something that can combine the USB connections to my devices and then transfer the daya down a CAT 6 network cable.  I've got hub similar to the one you show and feed the data down a USB extender cable at the moment but I'm doing a permanent installation to a pier and the cable route is way too long for USB.  All USB to network adapters I can find seem to be for adding wired network to a computer using a USB port so I don't know if they would work directly to devices.

Michael

How about something like this:   https://www.ebuyer.com/785008-canon-silex-ds-510-device-server-3128v569

If you are running a cable though, you might still want to consider wireless - you could use the cable to mount the wireless aerial on the outside of the house instead of running a cable all the way to your observatory.

• Like 1

You could use a Raspberry Pi which has WiFi, Ethernet and USB3.0 as the intermediary, and then run some or all of the astro software locally on it and just monitor via the ethernet link. Then your laptop can do other tasks such live stacking on SharpCap while the RPi sequences and captures all the images, tracks and guides, plate solves, polar aligns etc. An open source software package I can thoroughly recommend is Astroberry Server (www.astroberry.io)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

How about something like this:   https://www.ebuyer.com/785008-canon-silex-ds-510-device-server-3128v569

If you are running a cable though, you might still want to consider wireless - you could use the cable to mount the wireless aerial on the outside of the house instead of running a cable all the way to your observatory.

That is exactly what I need - thank you!

19 minutes ago, Avocette said:

You could use a Raspberry Pi which has WiFi, Ethernet and USB3.0 as the intermediary, and then run some or all of the astro software locally on it and just monitor via the ethernet link. Then your laptop can do other tasks such live stacking on SharpCap while the RPi sequences and captures all the images, tracks and guides, plate solves, polar aligns etc. An open source software package I can thoroughly recommend is Astroberry Server (www.astroberry.io)

I'm already using two Pi 4s - OctoPrint and OpenMediaVault but I think I'll get my setup working as is before tackling Astroberry - one step at a time!

Thanks

Michael

1 hour ago, PaulB said:

You could buy a Primaluce Eagle- or MHP from Hitech Astro.

I use a MHP mini and have Gemini II goto with my G11. I can plug all my imaging gear, power and USB via the MHP mini and run two cables from my pier that's a single USB Extension Repeater cable and an Ethernet cable for the Gemini II.

My cables are typically 10 meters in length. And I don't have any problems with USB connectivity.

I use the USB for Cameras (CCD and DSLR) and a Filter Wheel.

The Eagle is very good as it is Wireless and will connect via your Laptop Wireless adaptor. It isn't cheap but this might be the only option for what you want to do.

I'm using a USB extender cable at the moment but the permanent cable route is far to long and I want to avoid wireless if I can.

1 hour ago, fifeskies said:

There is a solution I know of that I think matches your requirements

USB connections combined into a single Cat6 sender

The receiver outputs these into a single USB output

Unfortunately this is expensive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-2-0-Over-Cat5-Extender-Cost-effective-Black/dp/B00T9RTT2U/ref=psdc_949408031_t3_B01NBN1HD3

There are probably more economically priced versions.

This one is rated for 50m or so

If you need the 100m version of this,  its seriously more expensive

That's exactly what I need.  I saw and replied to Shimrod before seeing your post but both devices will do the trick.

Thanks

Michael

I've just set up my Pi4 with direct Lan connection to my MacBook, it's cheaper than all the other options and pretty much is doing the same thing. USB over Ethernet Cable.

Running Astroberry as a sever on the Pi4 and Ekos on my MacBook.

• Like 1

While switching to a Pi/INDI based setup is a bit more faff it'll be infinitely more reliable than those USB-over-Ethernet widgets. Lots of stuff makes assumptions about timing and bandwidth based on locally negotiated bandwidth, so when the end-to-end pipe falls short it can create Exciting Weirdness.

Definitely stick to wired. WiFi has no place in an observatory except for browsing SGL on your phone during observations! 🙂

The device server types are the most reliable if you absolutely must go down that route. Consider grounding carefully if you're running copper data cables for any appreciable distance outside/between structures - odds are good your building earths will be different, may be at different potentials, and so your data shield can start carrying currents and/or picking up exciting interference. Lightning can cause problems, too. Pre-terminated single-mode fibre and media converters (or switches with SFPs) is definitely the way to go for new installations with significant outdoor cable runs - the overall cost is similar, and glass can't carry lightning potentials 😛

• Like 1

WiFi is great but people tend to forget it's really for when you can't be plugged in.  My house wifi has 4 phones, 3 laptops and a tablet that all use the WiFi.  TVs, media server, NAS and security cameras would add even more if I hadn't cabled them all.  Add to that the 100 year old solid walls of the house and I'd be fighting for every packet of data even when everyone else is asleep! 😄😄

The pier is only 3m from the house at it's closest point - carefully positioned so I can see Polaris but not the two nice shiny LED streetlights, one either side of my house!
I hadn't thought about beefing up the earthing but I guess the I can get a benefit from the wire armour being tied down at both ends.  I will be running a signal earth anyway to avoid any issues with induced noise etc.

All the best

Michael

On 26/08/2020 at 16:56, Synchronicity said:

Hi

An example on Amazon

Thanks

Michael

You are looking for something like an ICRON Ranger, but such devices are not cheap. Sold one recently.

Adam

• Like 1