Narrowband

Altair Ascent 102ED - Views?

On 30/08/2020 at 16:30, Dantooine said:

I use a losmandy AZ8 with my F7 and love it. It’s solid, we’ll machined and would take the F11. It’s quite expensive and there’s not much I could find between this an the SW stuff.

I'm considering one for my recently acquired CT8 so I'd be really interested to hear some more of your views on it?! The ability to add Nexus DSC at a later date is a big draw for me too.

5 hours ago, robbymain said:

I'm considering one for my recently acquired CT8 so I'd be really interested to hear some more of your views on it?! The ability to add Nexus DSC at a later date is a big draw for me too.

Quite simply it does what it’s supposed to really well. It’s very solid, well machined and black anodised. You can get extension pillars if you need extra height. I use mine with an 102 f7 and don’t need to counter balance which makes it quick to set up. I only use it manually and have no intentions of putting tracking or anything on it so I can’t answer that for you. 

ive had it 8 months and not looked at another mount since so that must say something good about it. When I was looking to buy it I couldn’t really find many reviews or information to be honest. I took a bit of a chance I suppose but I’m very glad I did. 

I consider it a top end grab n go mount and it doesn’t take much space up in the house. I define much prefer it to eq mounts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, robbymain said:

Thanks for the info on the AZ8 guys - I may just have placed an order for one plus the Counterweight and Shaft kit....!

Congratulations, I’m not sure how many of us there are but it looks like the secrets out 👍

what are you going to put on it?

Edited by Dantooine
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, robbymain said:

An OOUK CT8 which is about 10.25kg with finders and a Televue on board....

Counterweight is a good idea then. You wouldn’t want it going sideways. I don’t weight mine as I seem to get away with it as the tubes not very heavy. You will be pleasantly surprised how it looks “in person”. You don’t actually need a scope as it’s good looking enough to be an ornamental feature in any room.