Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powertank with 6v DC output?

Searching the web for info on Powertanks and the Celestron/Skywatcher Powertank manual makes mention of a multi-volt output offering 3,6 and 9v DC. Yet the ones available to buy only offer 12v DC output. Was this an older model and is it possible to still get one? I am trying to find an alternative way to run the 6v DC battery powered EQ5 clockdrive. (instead of 4xD size).

Hi Mark, yeah I looked at stuff like that but the different amperage, soldering etc is beyond me. I'd probably just blow up my controller. That's why I was hoping for an off the shelf solution. I've seen the 6v DC rechargeable acid batteries as well but again I'm not sure of the correct spec. I suppose I could just buy shares in Duracell! 

A mobile phone power bank will run that mount fine, the output is normally 5,2V which is greater than the 4.8V you will get from rechargeable D cells....just chop the end off a standard USB cable and solder a connector. I got a 10AH one for less than £10 and will run my mount for around 30 hours non stop.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

Seems Talentcell do or did one. Only UK seller seems to be Homeloft. Will warn you they are not inexpensive, also the delivery date is around 3 weeks at present it seems.

Amazom.com have them but will not post to UK.

Only other alternative I can see is the Tracer 12v items, then a car plug that allows you to change voltage. They are around if you search. However I suspect a Tracer and fitting will come to similar to the Talentcell and no idea how warm or hot the adaptor may get.

56 minutes ago, Franklin said:

That's good to know Alan, never thought of a USB powerbank. Definitely give that a go. Which one did you use? If it works for you, then it should work for me. Cheers.

I have so many now but I started with the realy cheap pound shop ones, I would add that the more expensive models with "smart capability" might shut down if they are not drawing enough current (easily fixed by plugin in a red USB light or similar into the second socket). 

Alan

P.S. will test out my mount tomorrow with one of my later smart powerbanks and post results etc.

Edited by Alien 13
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Franklin said:

That's good to know Alan, never thought of a USB powerbank. Definitely give that a go. Which one did you use? If it works for you, then it should work for me. Cheers.

I managed to run some tests this morning with this power bank and it run fine. 81LQVdO5LzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also did some measurements using one of these 51Jkr-0d%2BQL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

which is a very handy bit of kit and found my single axis motor was drawing 0.25A when tracking and 0.35A during a slew. The output voltage remained at 5.2V throughout. With those figures the power bank listed could run my mount for up to 40 hours..

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

20 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

A mobile phone power bank will run that mount fine, the output is normally 5,2V which is greater than the 4.8V you will get from rechargeable D cells....just chop the end off a standard USB cable and solder a connector. I got a 10AH one for less than £10 and will run my mount for around 30 hours non stop.

Alan

Just noticed you can get a USB-DC lead (not a voltage converter, just a lead) with different connectors from Amazon for £9 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GTKBVKN

Haven't tried it personally, and you may get one cheaper from fleabay, but if soldering scares you at least you know there's an alternative...

HTH
Ady

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a 6v lead acid rechargeable battery for my EQ5 with basic drive motors.  I think it is sold as a lantern battery.  You need a 6v wall wart charger as well.  Cheap and cheerful and does the job.   I think mine is 4Ah (may be 5Ah) but it has never run out even on a full evenings use.

• Thanks 1