Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33 Tak Epsilon / Skywatcher ED80 LRGB

tooth_dr

One from Sunday night, 23rd August.

L=282 minutes

RGB=100 mins / 100 mins / 96 minutes

I'm not sure if the colours are right, and the centre needs a little work.

Captured with SGPro, processed with APP and PS.

Thanks for looking

Adam.

M33-LRGB-v2.jpg

• Like 26

This looks great Adam. I really like the colours, especially the colour in all the background stars. Just a few small pointers if I may: you need to crop off your edges, the sky background has a bit if a magenta tint, and it could maybe do with a smidge of star reduction to my eye (although I'm only looking on my phone).

This is also a target that takes well to Deconvolution, or alternatively, some very careful selective sharpening. 

Based on this image, I'd say your combo of ED80 colour with Tak Lum is working very, very nicely indeed 😎

2 hours ago, Xiga said:

This looks great Adam. I really like the colours, especially the colour in all the background stars. Just a few small pointers if I may: you need to crop off your edges, the sky background has a bit if a magenta tint, and it could maybe do with a smidge of star reduction to my eye (although I'm only looking on my phone).

This is also a target that takes well to Deconvolution, or alternatively, some very careful selective sharpening. 

Based on this image, I'd say your combo of ED80 colour with Tak Lum is working very, very nicely indeed 😎

Thanks Ciaran for the advice, I've made the changes you have suggested.

1) I see that now border around the image now, the colour data is at 520mm and the lum at 500mm - it is now rotated and I removed the 'lum only' portion

2) I have adjusted 'colour balance' to reduce the magenta tint

3) I have tried to reduce the stars more - it didnt look quite right so i blended it in at about 50% opacity.

4) Not sure how to approach this one, but have tried using a high pass filter (at 3.5) on a duplicate layer (set to soft light), then blended in using a layer mask.

It would probably benefit from a more sympathetic approach but it is also only 8 hours of data, so decent enough for what it is I suppose.

Adam.

M33-LRGB-v4.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Stunning and I really like the colours. However I don't know where on earth you are finding your clear skies .... been hopeless here recently. 

Thanks.  Also like you are not getting many clear nights.   It was very wet on Sunday, but with forecast was to clear up in the evening. I sat up until 12 until the sky finally cleared, and with the two scopes running, 4 hours in each generates enough data to get a reasonable finished image.

6 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Stunning and I really like the colours. However I don't know where on earth you are finding your clear skies .... been hopeless here recently. 

Himself and Emil @emyliano2000
have some dark secret where they are able to conjur up some clear skies while the rest of us suffer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks.  Also like you are not getting many clear nights.   It was very wet on Sunday, but with forecast was to clear up in the evening. I sat up until 12 until the sky finally cleared, and with the two scopes running, 4 hours in each generates enough data to get a reasonable finished image.

I think we are in the wrong part of the world of this hobby. We had one clear night about two weeks ago - forecast 100% clear and not a cloud in sight or rain on rain radar until went to bed at 1am. 2.30 am after going to bed it rained on my scope. Luckily all ok. Now figured out how to get text messages from SGP so when it loose guide star will (hopefully) wake me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AbsolutelyN said:

I think we are in the wrong part of the world of this hobby. We had one clear night about two weeks ago - forecast 100% clear and not a cloud in sight or rain on rain radar until went to bed at 1am. 2.30 am after going to bed it rained on my scope. Luckily all ok. Now figured out how to get text messages from SGP so when it loose guide star will (hopefully) wake me. 

I'm thinking of getting an AAG Cloud watcher for his kind of thing, or move to the desert.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Ciaran for the advice, I've made the changes you have suggested.

1) I see that now border around the image now, the colour data is at 520mm and the lum at 500mm - it is now rotated and I removed the 'lum only' portion

2) I have adjusted 'colour balance' to reduce the magenta tint

3) I have tried to reduce the stars more - it didnt look quite right so i blended it in at about 50% opacity.

4) Not sure how to approach this one, but have tried using a high pass filter (at 3.5) on a duplicate layer (set to soft light), then blended in using a layer mask.

It would probably benefit from a more sympathetic approach but it is also only 8 hours of data, so decent enough for what it is I suppose.

Adam.

M33-LRGB-v4.jpg

Looks even better now Adam, good work! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkulin said:

Lovely image Adam, superbly processed, just a small comment...where's the Ha as there is usually loads in M33?

Hi John, thanks!  I calibrated the data in APP.  I dunno, I didnt take an Ha data, but I can see a few red spots in the image.  I didnt intentionally try to emphasise the red but I guess that could be easily addressed.

17 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi John, thanks!  I calibrated the data in APP.  I dunno, I didnt take an Ha data, but I can see a few red spots in the image.  I didnt intentionally try to emphasise the red but I guess that could be easily addressed.

Yep. Just pull some Cyan out of the Reds in selective colours should do the trick. 

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Adam, I only say it as my mate did it and I remember how much Ha he pulled out of it: -

https://www.astrobin.com/370427/D/

image.png.3e1be6c19e36d150c6e1d17170805a98.png

But yours is truly a wonderful image

• Like 1