Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Book that Spanish holiday now - for August 2026

Highburymark

We’ve missed out on our annual trip to Menorca this August. Thought it would be more prudent to stay at home this year. But planning ahead, I’ve just discovered that on August 12th, 2026, the Balearics and northern Spain will experience a full solar eclipse! ! Tempting to book ahead......

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Indeed! I believe the timing is not great (happens in the late afternoon?). However, the following year there will be a longer total eclipse visible in the south of Spain. None at all since since 1905 and then 2 at once (plus an annular eclipse the following year, I believe)!

Martin 

[edit: the 2027 eclipse is about 4m 30s in the Cadiz region: 

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2027Aug02Tgoogle.html]

Edited by Martin Meredith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

Indeed! I believe the timing is not great (happens in the late afternoon?). However, the following year there will be a longer total eclipse visible in the south of Spain. None at all since since 1905 and then 2 at once (plus an annular eclipse the following year, I believe)!

Martin 

[edit: the 2027 eclipse is about 4m 30s in the Cadiz region: 

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2027Aug02Tgoogle.html]

With that one, even if we're still plagued with lockdowns (please no!) there could still be an opportunity to fly into Gibraltar and experience it from the Rock, thus not needing to enter Spain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Oh wow, we have friends living between Spain and Estepona, good time for a visit, (provided they haven't moved back to the UK by then).

Carole 

Don’t think they’ll be moving when they find out what they can charge for spare rooms during solar eclipse week Carole! 🥂

6 hours ago, carastro said:

Oh wow, we have friends living between Spain and Estepona, good time for a visit, (provided they haven't moved back to the UK by then).

Carole 

I have a farm house in Granada province 😎

nice to have a 7 year warning tip off 👍

• Like 2

Just now, mikeDnight said:

You must taste good. They never touch me! 

Some people just react like that. Lived in an infested area for a while in Spain, initially had those kind of reactions for a while, but after a few years didn't react anymore, just the annoying buzzing sound in the bedroom at night.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gilesco said:

Some people just react like that. Lived in an infested area for a while in Spain, initially had those kind of reactions for a while, but after a few years didn't react anymore, just the annoying buzzing sound in the bedroom at night.

Netting on windows, leave geckos in the house as they eat a fair few and ceiling fans. Mozzies like fresh meat of holiday visitors. When we had visitors they were an all you can eat banquet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Netting on windows, leave geckos in the house as they eat a fair few and ceiling fans. Mozzies like fresh meat of holiday visitors. When we had visitors they were an all you can eat banquet. 

What part of Granada is your location?

Was looking at a property near Zujar, wondered what sky quality might be like. Only speculative online listing, not been there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gilesco said:

What part of Granada is your location?

Was looking at a property near Zujar, wondered what sky quality might be like. Only speculative online listing, not been there.

1/2 hour from Motril. Mountains around so not sure what that would do to air streams. Also, it cools very fast as sun goes down so not sure how telescopes would adjust. 

It would be wonderful to catch Saros 126 but yes the following years Saros 136 is the one to catch as it's twice a long if in the optimal path , I've read a lot about previous encounters with 136 and it's the one I really want to see , have been lucky enough to catch Saros 139 in Turkey 06 & they are worth the effort to witness.

Brian 

• 1 year later...
On 25/08/2020 at 12:54, JamesF said:

I'm not going back to Spain until they get rid of every single one of the nasty bitey insects :(

spacer.png

James

I have them all over my legs at the moment and they itch like hell. I seem to get caught out at least once every year. I’ll never learn. Best advice I can give is under no circumstances scratch them! It will make them itch worse and last longer. I’ve had them so bad that I have been unable to sleep in the past. We get man killer swarms of flies here in wales. A guy told me on a recent camping trip that they are attracted to deoderant if thats any help

On 25/08/2020 at 13:13, Martin Meredith said:

Indeed! I believe the timing is not great (happens in the late afternoon?).

Correct. Totality is at 20:30 with sunset at 20:58. So it's not worth coming, best stay home. I live on the centre line of the eclipse in the mountains of Tarragona, so it would be best to leave the area clear for us locals 😝

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I've already provisionally booked for the 2026 and 2027 total eclipses, lol 

I fancy Iceland for 2026 - although it will probably be cloudy. I'd base myself in Borgarnes which gives a few more options for moving up and down the west coast depending on weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I've already provisionally booked for the 2026 and 2027 total eclipses, lol 

Is that with Astro Trails, if so how much deposit did they want at this stage.

We were planning booking Project Mexico Tour 4 with them in 2024, Eclipse plus Classical Spain in 2026, and Egypt (Luxor) plus Nile Cruise in 2027.

Their rival company, Astro Eclipse, with whom we went to Argentina in July 2019, don't appear to be advertising any trios at present. 

• Like 1