Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter pimple

Marvin Jenkins

Planned to do some imaging last night but horse tails from the north took that idea away. So instead of packing up grumpy I broke out the eps had a good long look at Jupiter.

I use a 150 newt so I will describe as it appeared to me at the time. 17mm Plossl with 2x Barlow and blue filter which is really working for me right now. Quite a clean view with good moments of stillness.
One moon to the left and two to the right, so I relaxed pulled over the hood and spent time searching for a transit or the GRS and other features. Despite the two main bands showing well and a possible finer band higher to the north? I couldn’t find a shadow or moon.

I then noticed a small raised pimple attached to Jupiter at the equator 21:40 UK time. My last resort, phone app and sure enough Io was showing in that spot (pardon the pun) looks like It was just about to disappear behind the gas giant.

First time I have noticed this as the moons tend to disappear into the planets shadow before being eclipsed by the planets disc in my experience. 

Marvin

• Like 10