Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars Brightens as it moves Into Evening Sky

CentaurZ

Mars is currently rising about 22:00 (local daylight saving time) and is brighter than Sirius. It will reach opposition from the Sun during the night of October 13-14, when it will appear a bit brighter than Jupiter. Mars at opposition will be slightly less bright than during its 2018 apparition, but will appear much higher in the sky for observers north of the tropics.

Photos and descriptions of Mars during its current apparition would be welcome additions to this thread.

Mars-App.JPG.379b1e1ba0cdba0dd4af9f0352b81719.JPG

• 1 month later...

As well as brightening, the high angle of Mars from the northern hemisphere, and its large apparent size, gives a fine opportunity for observers to get familiar with the planet's features. Often, the initial view through the telescope may appear to be lacking much in the way of detail, but with patience and persistence, as well as continually ensuring the scope is critically focused, even intricate subtle detail will often reveal itself. Some observers like to use coloured filters to highlight certain regions. For example, a #21 orange will enhance the visibility of darker albedo features, where as a #80A blue will highlight brighter ice and cloud or misty regions. Another great way to pluck out detail while observing is to sketch what you see, as while sketching, the more subtle detail begins to reveal itself. And you don't need to be a talented artist, for even a basic outline sketch with a few notes can speak volumes.

Below are just some of the observational sketches made so far this apparition. So sharpen that pencil and see how much more you can see. :icon_cyclops_ani:

291101243_2020-08-0819_33_30.thumb.jpg.33eee7efdf007507fc96ce5cf3f1c841.jpgIMG_7289.thumb.jpg.2cc9ca8fb58a44228534411f77172b0b.jpg509656368_2020-09-1013_41_34.thumb.jpg.f8b90c9d532fbd4d3b913bcfe3fce90b.jpg1601051892765_IMG_7723.thumb.jpg.af32c8e516d8576ea38c6834bea46795.jpgIMG_7736.thumb.jpg.b4e7678ff8df58081a2c5f8f67ca1111.jpg

• Like 8

That's a wonderful sketch and certainly doesn't look like a first attempt. Neither does it look rough! The sketches I make at the eyepiece are often rough and full of scribblings and corrections, but I understand what the mass of confusion means. Somehow, I'm able to translate the mess into an accurate and recognisable representation in a cleaned up sketch soon after. It's fun ! :confused3:

Cant wait to see more of your excellent sketches. :icon_cyclops_ani:🏆

• Thanks 1

Tonight's the night - Mars at it's closest and at least some clear periods forecast :icon_biggrin:

5.1 inch triplet frac is cooling down outside. 

Great sketch @jock1958 - just how it looks through my Tak FC100-DL as well !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

That's a wonderful sketch and certainly doesn't look like a first attempt. Neither does it look rough! The sketches I make at the eyepiece are often rough and full of scribblings and corrections, but I understand what the mass of confusion means. Somehow, I'm able to translate the mess into an accurate and recognisable representation in a cleaned up sketch soon after. It's fun ! :confused3:

Cant wait to see more of your excellent sketches. :icon_cyclops_ani:🏆

Hi Mike thanks for encouraging words. I followed your lead on rough sketches at the eyepiece, what I failed to do was finish it off last Wednesday morning whilst my memory was fresh. Next outing will try and complete the job more quickly! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

Tonight's the night - Mars at it's closest and at least some clear periods forecast :icon_biggrin:

Thanks John, it’s work in progress as far as the colour goes! Yep tonight’s the night and I can see it above the horizon just hope the weather plays ball 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Thick cloud where I am, then a small break in the cloud allowed me to see Mars with the naked eye before being swallowed up again. Not had the scope on Mars for weeks due to the poor weather...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Tonight's the night

🤞bit breezy but looking good with cloud dispersing and clear sky moving in. Jetstream looks to be a little bit south of Lomdon too so 🤞 for a good opposition- I really need this!  Good luck everyone :)

8CD41930-79DA-46D6-957F-C996F09F4EEE.png

E6163A68-1CC3-49D7-9AA5-FC40B3B888AE.png

D6CE6A82-984D-41F3-A1A9-6BBB19C67A54.jpeg

• Like 1