Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zooms

LDW1

Over on our side we have been discussing the virtues of zoom eyepieces quite extensively vs cost and performance. Svbony is a rather recent newcomer to amateur astronomy, they have quite a wide range of products at very low, reasonable prices while keeping excellent quality. I have several of their filters and eps and their performance is up there with the much more pricier brands of good average models, we aren’t talking the out of this world models at prices you just have to shake your head about, the prestige stuff, if you will, with very little more in return. These Svbony zooms, I have 2 a 24 - 8mm, 7 element, 4 groups and a 30 - 10mm,  5 element, 2 groups, FMC, the first parfocal and the second very close. They are as good as my older Meade 4000 and new Orion E series models. I was and still am wondering what experiences and thoughts the great astronomers on this site have with Svbony products in general and especially their zooms !

47 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Over on our side we have been discussing the virtues of zoom eyepieces quite extensively vs cost and performance. Svbony is a rather recent newcomer to amateur astronomy, they have quite a wide range of products at very low, reasonable prices while keeping excellent quality. I have several of their filters and eps and their performance is up there with the much more pricier brands of good average models, we aren’t talking the out of this world models at prices you just have to shake your head about, the prestige stuff, if you will, with very little more in return. These Svbony zooms, I have 2 a 24 - 8mm, 7 element, 4 groups and a 30 - 10mm,  5 element, 2 groups, FMC, the first parfocal and the second very close. They are as good as my older Meade 4000 and new Orion E series models. I was and still am wondering what experiences and thoughts the great astronomers on this site have with Svbony products in general and especially their zooms !

What is the 7-21mm Svbony zoom like ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SV135-1-25-7-21mm-Zoom-eyepieces-astronomical-telescope-eyepieces-multi-Coated/283809071527?hash=item421456c1a7:g:2uMAAOSwwBZdgY~j

I've only used their filters, which are very average.

Mine is the model SV171, up graded to 7 elements in 4 groups and weighs 0.66 lb. vs 0.44 lbs and is fully parafocal, its much bigger size wise. To be honest I have had them so little time, I have to finish comparing due to weather and commitments but that will come in a bit of a future report, so far there have been mostly great things said etc. ! Its the price vs build quality vs performance that is consistent . It apparently is comparable, based on other experienced astronomers experience, to the Baader that is about 4x the price. 

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my newly acquired 8-24 Svbony and 10-30 Svbony zooms incl cleaning clothes, both for about $170 C total incl ship directly from China ! I tried the 10-30 on the almost full moon for the first time last nite under Bortle 5 skies in my back yard and the views through all the zoom x’s were excellent. The moon was crisp and clear, the contrast was as well and the coloring was practically non existent if at all, you really had to look. This is a very, very well built ep with very smooth action and for all intents and purposes it is parfocal, the retractable eye cup is a nice, smooth feature. I have a lot more trials to do under darker skies with both zooms but this one appears to be a future recommender for that very low price as I mentioned. And by the way this was all done under clear, crisp skies but with a 40 kph with gusts wind blowing on my 80mm, f6 scope and lite mount ! And oh yes the TFOV took in the full of the moon easily under all powers, under 10x it filled the ep from edge to edge.

B37A4A8D-9D75-45C5-B3D0-4CF6F537F812.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 2