Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What settings for Mosaic in Pixinsight?

Ive got 2 stacked images of the witches broom area that I want to combine into a mosaic in Pixinsight, I thought you just selected register/union - mosaic and it would produce a mosaic containing the ref and target images in the Star Alignment tool.  When I do it however, the image that comes out is only the reference image, not a large image containing both the ref and target. 

Mosaic.JPG

image.png

Cheers - got stuck though!  Managed to create the 'rough' mosaic no problem (I did not realise you just dragged it over the 2nd image to create the mosaic).  I then choose the mosaic separate option and try and do Gradient Merge but it fails as the geometry is different between the 2 images, which it it! One is 5351 x 6265 and the other is 5351 x 6264 - how do I create them both the same size when choosing the merge separate?  

16 minutes ago, blinky said:

how do I create them both the same size when choosing the merge separate?

I'm afraid I can't help you there - sorry.

To be honest creating mosaics in PI was the main reason I bought into APP instead - it's an absolute breeze and so far has produced perfect results every time. I still use PI extensively in processing images but not for mosaics. Life is too short!

I'm sure someone will pop up and help you shortly.

If not then why not try the trial version of APP whilst you're waiting ;). APP can handle different optics and geometries without difficulty. You can load your PI masters into APP (as fit files) and it will produce a seamless mosaic image.

There's a tutorial here.

Adrian

If I remember correctly register both your stacks to the rough mosaic you created using “register match” ..  you should then have two images the same size and geometry..  (one containing the Broom and the other with the Network nebula) 

then use gradient merge mosaic..  Repeat for each channel..  I find registration works best if you use thin plate splines and distortion correction..  as others have said it’s somewhat simpler and more automated in APP

You said you used mosaic/separate as the second step. You need to use register/match instead. I’m sure there’s an error in the light vortex workflow as I get the same geometry issue when I use seperate option. If you read Warren Keller’s book he used this method and it works every time. 

By the way, I also use APP for mosaic construction. 

• Like 1