Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

StarGazingSiouxsie

Celestron Focus Motor install problems and solutions for a CPC1100 (and likely other 11" & 14" OTAs, too.)

Posted (edited)

Celestron Focus Motor install problems on a CPC1100

I've read enough threads online to know I'm not the only person to encounter problems with installing the Celestron Focus Motor.  Despite following the install instructions to the letter and watching a load of videos on how to do this, I could not get the motor work correctly with the screws for the mounting plate and motor mount installed anything other than loosely - which is obviously not right.

I read up on a lot of threads about this and it seems the basic problem is that the mounting plate supplied with the motor causes pressure to be put on the focus bearing and thereafter causes binding and locking up. People have come up with many solutions including installing washers / shims and, taking Celestron's Tech Support advice, to install the orginal focus mounting plate first and then the Focus Motor kit mounting on top. - and that's what I did. 

Whether by luck or design, Cubble came with quite long screws in his original mounting plate so there was ample thread left to pass through both plates. 

With both plates installed, all the screws can now be tightened down (snugged down, nothing OTT), including the 2 hex screws for the motor mount. Before, the screws had to be left loose just to allow the motor to turn and, believe me, I spent hours making sure everything was true and aligned correctly to try and solve this.

Anyway, that's what worked for me and I am happy that my motor is now working as intended. Celestron are a strange set up - they produce great scopes but some of their kit and accessories leaves a lot to be desired, from a R&D point of view.

I hope this may help someone else out down the line. 

Siouxsie 

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie
  • Like 2

Thanks for that. I've had the focus motor on order since mid July. When it finally arrives, your post may well be invaluable. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Thanks for that. I've had the focus motor on order since mid July. When it finally arrives, your post may well be invaluable. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Note that there are 2 plates in the kit - one for OTAs up to 9.25 and the other for the 11 & 14s. 

I'm not sure if your mounting plate screws will be long enough if you wanted to try to the 2 plate method but you can see.

Anyway, I hope it won't come to that and that your install is problem free. :) 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JamieHardcastle
      Hi everyone,
      My other half bought me (us) a Celestron 130 for my birthday recently.
      I have watched tutorials and done a lot of reading about collimating and various other tips since alongside several hours peering through the telescope.
      I can achieve a very crisp image of the moon which is awesome. However, trying to get a decent focus on Mars/Jupiter Saturn is proving very frustrating. The only non-blurred image of any of them is a single white-point, non dissimilar to what I can see via the naked eye. 
      i’ve tried both the 20mm & 10mm lenses and adjusted the focus in and out all the way.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
      thank you, in advance.
    • By MountainDog
      I have just encountered an error message which says "NO RESPONSE 16" when I power up my 130slt. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    • By StarGazingSiouxsie
      Hi,
      I would like to ask you if you have any advice, comments or thoughts on my storage proceedure that I propose to use for Cubble, my CPC1100.

My overall golden rule, and I think it is for most telescope owners, is to try and avoid large shifts between OTA (although being a CPC it's OTA + double fork arm assembly + motors) temperature and that of the ambient / outdoor temperature. This applies especially in the summer, avoiding bringing the OTA from an air conditioned house (EG ~ 70f ) to the outdoors where it can be 85f - 100f where I live. That amount of temperature shift is enough to cause condensation on the mirrors - ask me how I know  In the winter, it's the way around, where you ideally want to avoid bringing a very cold OTA (EG 45f) into a house where it's 65f - 75f. So I am trying to apply the lessons I have learnt and formulate a storage procedure for Cubble.

If the weather is set clear / dry for a few days, I will end my observing session by wrapping Cubble in an Arcturus waterproof / thermal sheet with another waterproof cover placed over that. This has worked very well thus far.

I am lucky that I have an outside shed close to my observing location. The weather is getting cold enough now that I want to avoid bringing Cubble back into the relatively much warmer house. So he's going into the shed. For this, I have to remove his OTA / double forks from the tripod and then store that part separately in the shed. For ease of thinking, just assume that the shed temperature is very close to that of outdoor (+ / - 5f)

So this is where my questions arise - I will be storing his OTA / fork / motor assembly (henceforth = OTA) on a sturdy table in the shed.

1. Is there a best position for this? I.E. should I have the primary mirror facing down toward the corrector plate or the other way around? I've had a look online and opinion seems split on this. Note - in the hot summer months I will will store his OTA in either the horizontal position (I.E. perpendicular to the azimuth clutch) to avoid the scary possibility of grease dripping the primary to the secondary.

2. Is there any reason - aside from stability - why I shouldn't store his OTA in the horizontal / perpendicular position? His OTA is balanced well enough for me to put the OTA in that position with the altitude clutch very loose without the OTA moving.

3. Talking of clutches - irrespective of which way I store the OTA, does having the clutches loose or snugged tight make any real difference? Some people say it puts strain on the motors doing that - but how is that any different to an observing session?? Because in an observing the motors have a chance to move around? The CPC owners manual isn't much help, it just mentions to leave the clutches loose when transporting the OTA.  
      4. Do the answers to the  above questions depend on how long he would be stored for? I anticipate not having him in the shed for more than a week at a time before bringing him out for use.

Note - One position that has been suggested by some people is to lay the OTA on its side.. I want to try and avoid this if possible and also avoid the use of storage case. For my purposes, please just assume the double forks will be upright and the only thing left to decide is whether to have the OTA perpendicular to the azimuth clutch, facing the clutch with secondary mirror or have the primary mirror end facing the azimuth clutch.

Thanks for any advice / thoughts / comments. All are graciously welcomed.

Siouxsie
    • By NightSky_Wanderer
      Hi,
      I am hoping someone here may be able to offer some help or advice. I have submitted a support ticket with Celestron but I am still waiting for a reply and would really like to get this working ready for the next clear sky!
      I recently brought a starsense but have not been able to use it because it comes up with the following errors,
      Err: Model Num
      The telescope model could not be read and initialization cannot proceed.
      Critical error!
      File: ..\source\mo
      Line: 1468
      An unexpected error occurred that may cause the HC to not opperate normally.
      When updating the controller and camera it finishes succesfully but when I check for new updates it proceeds to install the same one again and again.
      I can still control the mount and I think the camera tried to do an alignment in my room.
      I have a Celestron Nexstar 6SE.
      Thanks
      Adz
    • By StarGazingSiouxsie
      Hi, 
      Just thought I'd share this in case you haven't seen it already. A recent (September 2020) article added to the Celestron 'Knowledge Base' on collimating SCTs.
      I don't claim to have seen all articles on collimation, but this is defs one of the best that I have seen. 

https://www.celestron.com/blogs/knowledgebase/sct-edgehd-collimation-guide

Siouxsie 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.