Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cone Region

Tim

I had great plans for this image. It wasn't until I got 6 hours through the 7.5 hour exposure that I noticed I had "Fast read mode" enabled on the QHY8. This is usually reserved for framing and focussing. Which meant the 6 hours of images had twice the noise that they should of. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: To say I was gutted is putting it mildly. The pic is only half as good as it might have been. Oh well, you live and learn!

This is a mosaic of closely aligned frames, I wanted it with a slightly wider view to get the blue nebula in with the cone being central. The dodgy edge stars are the result of the spacing from reducer to camera being more than it should of, as this image was both imaged and guided through the same WO72 using the new slimline Off axis guider from TS. (Modern Astronomy).

The original idea was to get a killer image from the new OAG. It didn't quite work out for a number of factors, but I still think the image has some worth, if only for the variety of objects contained in it. It also looks quite pretty on my screen, and has pointed me in the direction of a couple of objects I will be looking at more closely, some of which 'Talitha' has been kind enough to identify using Sky Tools.

This one is sized at 20 percent, with a link to the full size jpeg.

Thanks for looking.

TJ

11755_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Full Size

That is a fine big pic, interested to know how you found the new TS OAG - I am assuming it is the 9mm thick one? Did you find guidestar quickly and get very long flexure free subs?

JohnH.

The irony is, Nebulosity automatically selects it for frame and focus, and turns it off again, unless the operator chooses otherwise DOH!

John, I will post a full review of the TS OAG very soon (next clear night, I think I have the spacing right now, just need to test).

In the WO72 there were LOADS of guide stars on offer, but i'll explain all properly in the review.

Archived