SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Random Top Tips

mcrossley

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

When observing with binoculars instead of using both hands to hold as normal, try using both hands together on one side of binoculars with fingers interlocked just behind objective lens. You will then find this keeps both elbows together and can then position them agaist your chest and lean back to required observing position.It may take a few goes to get used too.

I have found this method helps heaps in keeping bino's very steady when observing.

Dont drink more than, say ...oohh, about 3 cans of Stella before observing.

Keep warm, remember its easier to take off a wooly jumper out in the field than it is to put on one that youve left at home.

have another can of Stella.

keep reading the posts on SGL to keep you fired up with enthusiasm when its cloudy outside.

Wish you had bought more stella.

keep out of the reach of the sensor on your neighbours "visible from the surface of the moon" security light.

Finally, have fun and remember to be Awe struck and/or Gobsmacked by the beautifull sights that you have been priviledged to see.

Don't drip sweat on your eyepiece when observing! At this point you think I am joking but I did it - using a PST and a very expensive eyepiece one hot English summers day. It won't come off either - and the eyepiece was cleaned - but I can still see the marks from the salts in the sweat.

Also, don't breathe on your ep on a cold night. I've done that occasionally.

When you are using your RA motor (and presumably with EQ goto systems) kick the RA to the west just until the target starts to move. This will take up any slack in the gears, and prevent the target from drifting out of the FOV while the motor catches up.

Archived