SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn - a bit wobbly

jonathan

Had a crack at this pair tonight with my 102 refractor despite reports of thin high cloud, seeing was middling, could make out three or so bands on Jupiter, Saturn and the rings were clearly visible.  Both planets suffered with wobbly atmosphere though due to their relatively low atlitude and my having to view them across the roof tops of the entire village (so plenty of street lights too).

A big bank of cloud starting moving up (probably the front of the storm expected for tomorrow) so swung around for a look at some clusters and Andromeda galaxy before I was totally clouded out.  Saw a couple of nice shooting stars while just sitting admiring the milky way for a few minutes.

Just good to get the scope out, mainly.  Missing my astronomy society meetings. :sad2:

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 3

I was also looking at the pair of big bright planets for a few minutes tonight with my 150 newt. Jupiter’s moons looking good, and nicely defined banding on the planet. Saturn’s rings always look good, even though I’m really only playing with my eyepieces. Well pleased to be able to see anything tonight with the weather closing in.

I think there was a definite lack of clarity from my position, normally through my refractor the stars are pin sharp points but last night they were just a little bit fuzzy looking.  That high, thin cloud was there alright, just not visible in the dark.