Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astroberry-RPi4-Mac

Yes I have two memory cards, one with 2.02 on and the other with whatever is the latest (updated with sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade when a new distribution comes out) to trial. PHD2 stopped connecting to my ASI120MM at one point for an unknown reason soon after upgrading to 2.03, even though the PI could still see it in the OS, so I put 2.02 card back in and guiding was restored. No point in trying to troubleshoot on a clear night!

I have subsequently reformatted the card I use for 2.03, reimaged it, upgraded it to latest release and need to try it out again. 

I've been using 2.02 for a while and am probably missing out on stuff.

2 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Yes I have two memory cards, one with 2.02 on and the other with whatever is the latest (updated with sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade when a new distribution comes out) to trial. PHD2 stopped connecting to my ASI120MM at one point for an unknown reason soon after upgrading to 2.03, even though the PI could still see it in the OS, so I put 2.02 card back in and guiding was restored. No point in trying to troubleshoot on a clear night!

I have subsequently reformatted the card I use for 2.03, reimaged it, upgraded it to latest release and need to try it out again. 

I've been using 2.02 for a while and am probably missing out on stuff.

TBH, I never use the very latest versions of SM or AB, as there are usually bugs, in Kstars or Indi for some months after release, But they do always get sorted in the end, so I stick one version behind, which seems to almost guarantee a stable system....👍😀

Here's a write up of what I did, think I've remembered all the steps correctly.

MacBook to Astroberry via direct Lan connection.

1. Download astroberry, Mac unzips automatically

2. Download Balena Etcher

3. Use Disk Utility to erase and format micro sd card, use MSDOS FAT

4. Insert sd card in Pi, attach keyboard and mouse and screen, turn on Pi.

5. Open terminal in Pi,  type:       sudo apt update

6. Then in Pi terminal, type:         sudo apt upgrade

7. Wait till upgrades download and install, then type         sudo reboot

8. Plug in Lan cable.

9. On the Pi, right click the wifi icon top right, click edit connections.

10. Click on the wired option then click the cog icon to edit.

11. In the IPv4 tab, add new IP address. I used

Address:   192.168.2.2  (anything similar will do as long as it’s not in the same range as your home wifi)

Netmask:   24

Gateway:   255.255.255.0

12.  On your Mac open Sharing in System Preferences. Tick Lan 10/100/1000. Tick Internet Sharing and start.

13. Open Network in System Preferences, click on the USB LAN 10/100/1000.

Configure IPv4 set to Manually

IP Address set to   192.168.2.3

Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0

14. Open a browser window on your Mac, type in astroberry.local

15. In the small sidebar tab, click the telescope, tick the auto start and auto connect.

16. On your Mac launch Ekos, in the profile set it as Remote and set Host to astroberry.local, finish your profile.

17. Start up Ekos and it should connect.

• Like 1