SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cleaned my skywatcher dob base - much better now

PaulM

Would recommend anyone who hasn't done with with a skywatcher dob to do this

Took the base apart to reveal two silver plates and in between a black plastic plate with numerous little cylindrical runners around the edge.

Around the edge of the two silver plates where the cylinder runners contact was absolutely filthy so got some oil out and gave it a all a good clean down and oiled each cylindrical runner and put it back together - all in all a 15 minute job but what a different its made to observing much easier and more precise movement 

• Like 1

Standard on the smaller dobs are three little squares of teflon on the bottom disk and they simply  run on the melamine surface of the top.  Jusr re-read the list of your equipment and realsed it is the 350 you have.

Have circled the three square teflon pads in the photo.

Just a little bit of teflon lube on the white posts that the alt. bearings run on will help.

3A378636-1FFC-49FB-B63E-E68DA14AC6F7.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

29 minutes ago, PaulM said:

yes thats it are they not standard?

Yes they are standard on the larger Skywatcher dobs. I have one with my 12" dob. My 8" has the 3 teflon / plastic pads.

I would consider purchasing one of these bearings for my 8" as it is a huge improvement in performance!

Baz

5 hours ago, John said:

Is this the same scope ?

Eee, I love a good mystery! Let's look at the evidence...

Same telescope - Check.

Same yellow screwdriver - Check.

Same garden - Check.

Same grammatical errors in the text - Check.

Putting on my Sherlock Holmes hat, I deduce that 200pman and  fiestazetecmk2 are the same person! 🤫

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 2

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Cleaned my skywatcher dob base - much better now