Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Colour contrasting double stars

@Stu do let us know if this gets raised, as it would be nice to have a double star section here, rather than where it is currently hidden. Think it would be a much better fit.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting the scope out this winter to observe some doubles. Lots of nice ones in the winter!

On 08/11/2021 at 10:47, IB20 said:

No sign of WZ Cass on your list, take a gander next chance. A stunning red/blue double, I stumbled on it by accident. Amazing colours.

Ahhh, I just Googled it, that's a good one to add! I'll have a look out for it! Thanks

On 08/11/2021 at 08:07, MylesGibson said:

@Stu do let us know if this gets raised, as it would be nice to have a double star section here, rather than where it is currently hidden. Think it would be a much better fit.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting the scope out this winter to observe some doubles. Lots of nice ones in the winter!

Just to update on this. We had a lively debate amongst the mods to decide what to do, and the end decision was that we have moved the existing Observing and Imaging Double and Variable Stars forum into the Observing section where it should hopefully get more interest.

We did not want to create more sub forums (fora? 🤪) as it can then get more confusing and diffuse, so I think this is a good option.

I will pop a Sticky in there to state what it should cover, but basically anything interesting and stellar can go in there. Doubles, multiples, variables, novae, SuperNovae and even coloured/carbon star threads can live in there.

So, we’ve got it now, let’s make it a stellar wonderland, a really active forum!

🌟🌟🌟💫💫💫🤩🤩🤩🤣🤣🤣

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 10/11/2021 at 14:45, Stu said:

Just to update on this. We had a lively debate amongst the mods to decide what to do, and the end decision was that we have moved the existing Observing and Imaging Double and Variable Stars forum into the Observing section where it should hopefully get more interest.

We did not want to create more sub forums (fora? 🤪) as it can then get more confusing and diffuse, so I think this is a good option.

I will pop a Sticky in there to state what it should cover, but basically anything interesting and stellar can go in there. Doubles, multiples, variables, novae, SuperNovae and even coloured/carbon star threads can live in there.

So, we’ve got it now, let’s make it a stellar wonderland, a really active forum!

🌟🌟🌟💫💫💫🤩🤩🤩🤣🤣🤣

Brilliant news! 

Hopefully it will be nice and active in there!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ian McCallum said:

I've found blue or white doubles rather uninteresting, so this floats my boat!👍

If I go from Almach to Castor the brilliance of the double white stars looks like a diamond ring . Beautiful.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 00:47, MylesGibson said:

Some of the colours can be hard to discern.

Where do you get the colours from that are in your lists? Are they from direct observation yourself or from another source? I ask because I have seen stars that appear a different colour to what has been noted in various reference works. The books I've looked in are Webbs Celestial Objects, Burnhams Celestial Handbook, NGC 2000.0, Sky Catalogue 2000.0 and Nortons Star Atlas. Some of the younger stargazers out there may think that a few of these reference works are old fashioned and outdated and so will not look at them. But looking back at observations that were made a century or so ago means nothing on the astronomical time scale and any differences noted between those observations and more recent ones, can only be a reflection on the equipment available at that time and of course, the effects of increasing light pollution since the start of the industrial revolution.

12 hours ago, Franklin said:

Where do you get the colours from that are in your lists? Are they from direct observation yourself or from another source? I ask because I have seen stars that appear a different colour to what has been noted in various reference works. The books I've looked in are Webbs Celestial Objects, Burnhams Celestial Handbook, NGC 2000.0, Sky Catalogue 2000.0 and Nortons Star Atlas. Some of the younger stargazers out there may think that a few of these reference works are old fashioned and outdated and so will not look at them. But looking back at observations that were made a century or so ago means nothing on the astronomical time scale and any differences noted between those observations and more recent ones, can only be a reflection on the equipment available at that time and of course, the effects of increasing light pollution since the start of the industrial revolution.

The majority are from my own observations, a couple are from what has been described on lists I found. However, I have been stargazing with people from my astronomy club who were viewing the same stars as me and some could not always see the colour difference, and others saw slightly different colours to me, so don't take it as these are absolute. Your eye may pick up slight differences to mine

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...