Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One counterweight is going to be too much

So I have my SW NEQ-6 Pro mount and I'm planning on buying a WO Zenithstar 61 and using a Canon 600D. I was testing the mount a little and put on my visual scope, the SW Skymax 102 together with my old Nikon D60. With these set up and a single 5 kg counterweight all the way at the top then it seems to just be balanced, perhaps a nudge heavy on the counterweight side. I figure the Nikon and Canon cameras aren't going to differ more than maybe 100 g or so, but pretty negligible and the Zenithstar is about 0.5 kg lighter than the Skymax. This is going to give me trouble when it comes to balance. The Zenithstar is also just 61 mm which puts the weight even closer to the center.

I checked FLO for counterweights but there doesn't seem to be any lighter than 5 kg for the NEQ-6. Does this mean I'll have to figure out some custom solution or what are my options? Is this the excuse for getting a bigger scope? It annoyed me that the 61 doesn't come in blue but the 73 does..

5 minutes ago, John said:

I can't recall the diameter of the counterweight bar on the NEQ6 but if it is 20mm then the EQ3 counterweights will fit:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-counterweight.html

I'll check. That would be great! This got me thinking about if I should go for the bigger scope instead. The choices never stops!

You can use the same counterweights as the HEQ5 and the 1.8 & 3.4 kg weights for the EQ3. I have the NEQ6 extension bar and is is exactly the same diameter as the HEQ5. The weights for the EQ3 fit it too - I have them.

Good luck on getting them though as they are on a very long lead time.