stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Hi all,

With the advice I'm getting here, I'm planning to start my hobby with Skywatcher Maksutov 102 telescope. There are several models with this optical design, BUT it looks like they all sold out! 

Almost all... FLO still could sell a Mak on the older EQ2 mount. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-102-eq2.html 

What would yo say about this combination - is it an obsolete scope, or the same as modern versions? How it this mount? I gather it can be also used as Alt-As, right? 

And one more question, with this long focal length I think as a beginner I'm running into an issue of finding objects with it's FoV. What eyepieces would you recommend to add immediately to this scope? A good price/performance would be great!

For instance, should I add a 0,5 reducer or a 35-40 mm eyepiece, should I immediately replace 10mm?

I've read the great post of @The Warthog, so have an idea what focal lengths I'll need (10, 15, 25, 40). Just want to check your opinion what could be ideal price/performer.

Thank you!

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Dimitry said:

Hi all,

With the advice I'm getting here, I'm planning to start my hobby with Skywatcher Maksutov 102 telescope. There are several models with this optical design, BUT it looks like they all sold out! :(

Almost all... FLO still could sell a Mak on the older EQ2 mount. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-102-eq2.html 

What would yo say about this combination - is it an obsolete scope, or the same as modern versions? How it this mount? I gather it can be also used as Alt-As, right? 

And one more question, with this long focal length I think as a beginner I'm running into an issue of finding objects with it's FoV. What eyepieces would you recommend to add immediately to this scope? A good price/performance would be great!

For instance, should I add a 0,5 reducer or a 35-40 mm eyepiece, should I immediately replace 10mm?

I've read the great post of @The Warthog, so have an idea what focal lengths I'll need (10, 15, 25, 40). Just want to check your opinion what could be ideal price/performer.

Thank you! 

It's a bit pricier, but what about an AZ5 mount and tripod (£199)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-alt-azimuth-mount.html

plus the 102 (£172):

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-102-ota.html

So £371 in total - which is expensive. But for that price you could get one on an AZ-GTi (£365):
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-102-az-gti.html

So you can use it in manual mode, or switch to GoTo when you are feeling like it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now