Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IKO - M16 Data Release - August 2020

Grant

26 minutes ago, carastro said:

Is there any chance of posting the downloads as Tiffs?

Hi Carole, I've just converted the FITS files into 16bit and 32bit TIFFs for you, through PixInsight.

Please see attached!

Cheers

SII_registered_16bit.tif SII_registered_32bit.tif Ha_registered_16bit.tif Ha_registered_32bit.tif OIII_registered_16bit.tif OIII_registered_32bit.tif

Edited by Spongey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I have tried Fits liberator, and it has now opened it, but the image is overblown and clipped as soon as I open it.

Any-one any ideas? 

All you have to do is wind back the white level adjustment (move it to the right) in FITS Liberator to darken the image before you click on the OK button.

979784622_FitsLiberator.png.561701d3edf57a42bb3c7bfd1de0e9da.png

16 minutes ago, carastro said:

It did, but the black was still clipped/up against the left end of the histogram. 

As soon as I start stretching it incrementally in PhotoShop, I have always found that the image starts developing nicely:-

334916798_StretchinPS.thumb.png.29cce76fbf51112f6342bd9d65f01e80.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spongey said:

I've just converted the FITS files into 16bit and 32bit TIFFs for you, through PixInsight.

Thanks Spongey.  I've tried your TIFFs with CCDSharp and they don't open either whereas other apps will open them so clearly an issue with CCDSharp.  Shame as I was hoping to use it to do some deconvolution.  I'll have to work with PS Smart Sharpen instead.

When I opened the FITS files in AA7 they looked like nothing I'd seen before, nearly all black apart from a few stars. When I used Histogram Stretch all the data was up against the left hand end, and it said 0.1 bits (!) I had to apply several linear stretches before I saw anything like I'm used to. 

Normally my stretching routine starts with a DDP, but the DDP showed a threshold of 0, where I normally see a figure in the low thousands.

• Like 1

I found when experimenting with stacking files in PI and then saving them as fits it did not fill in the fits header data as you might expect. This may be a red herring as I was trying to then use spectroscopy packages not imaging.

Regards Andrew 

• 3 weeks later...

Im trying to load the Pixinsight project linked in the OP, but all I get is this:

Capture1.thumb.PNG.e1eaa8ac3d5ad75b4660548c7475f911.PNG

I do notice I get some of these errors while it is loading:

Capture2.PNG.0d48a03d64ab51fcb653565fcd87a1ed.PNG

My Pixinsight version is the latest 1.8.8-6 Ripley (x64) on Windows.

Has anyone loaded this project successfully?

Edited by Viktiste

On 21/08/2020 at 17:29, DaveS said:

When I opened the FITS files in AA7 they looked like nothing I'd seen before, nearly all black apart from a few stars. When I used Histogram Stretch all the data was up against the left hand end, and it said 0.1 bits (!) I had to apply several linear stretches before I saw anything like I'm used to. 

Normally my stretching routine starts with a DDP, but the DDP showed a threshold of 0, where I normally see a figure in the low thousands.

The reason became clear on opening the files. As I suspected they are 32 bit FITS, where I have been used to the 16 bit FITS downloaded from my cameras, hence all the data squashed into the left hand side.

3 hours ago, Viktiste said:

Im trying to load the Pixinsight project linked in the OP, but all I get is this:

I do notice I get some of these errors while it is loading:

Capture2.PNG.0d48a03d64ab51fcb653565fcd87a1ed.PNG

My Pixinsight version is the latest 1.8.8-6 Ripley (x64) on Windows.

Has anyone loaded this project successfully?

The latest version of PI has Starnet++ installed by default and it is different from the previous version, which was used to save the project, where Starnet was an add-on.

The project should work fine.  Starnet works in the same way though I had to point it at a couple of library files in order to get it to work.

HTH, Ian

StarNet (within pixinsight) is set to point to mono_starnet_weights.pb and rgb_starnet_weights.pb and works fine. I have never used project in pixinsight before, but I assume I should get all the process icons and images loaded?

38 minutes ago, Viktiste said:

StarNet (within pixinsight) is set to point to mono_starnet_weights.pb and rgb_starnet_weights.pb and works fine. I have never used project in pixinsight before, but I assume I should get all the process icons and images loaded?

You should indeed.  Note that the most of the 'action' is Workspace01 and - for me at least - the project opens on Workspace02 (that just has a few star mask things in it).

• Like 1