Narrowband

Suggestions for books / maps etc

Hi All,

After doing my research for a first telescope (where I sought advice on this forum also, getting some great feedback), my wife did her own research and surprised me with a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ for our 10th anniversary. It was very easy to set up, balance and also to align the red dot finder.  I'm very excited and can't wait for a clear night to polar align it and start viewing even from light polluted North London.  A t-ring and 2x barlow adaptor are on their way also (I know they won;t be competition winners, but it's just an easy / affordable way to start taking some photos also)

I was wondering which books, maps etc the members would recommend in order to start finding my way through the night sky (I am aware of basics but there's room for improvement of course!) - these could be books to read after work, or maps/guides that are useful while observing.  

Thanks,

Stephanos

I'll give it a shot as a relative newbie.

1) Turn Left at Orion. Explains the basics of star-hopping as well as example of many different targets and how to find them. Includes diagrams of the various finder and scope views that might be involved. Also basic newbie info too. An essential really.

2) Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas - for star charts. Always recommended but currently hard to find without paying an exorbitant amount. Keep your eyes open for normally priced copies.

3) Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders (Thompson & Thompson). I picked this up second hand from Astro Buy & Sell. Only to find it recommended here. It's like Turn Left at Orion on steroids. A chapter per major constellation, with charts covering what targets are contained and how to find them. 

Edited by Pixies

Turn Left at Orion is a fantastic starter book.

The S&T Pocket Sky Atlas has just been updated for a second version so would expect it will be more readily available again now. Would highly recommend this as well, bought my copy 6 years ago when I first started and still use it every night observing.

I have Interstellarum as well, but the PSA is the more used because it's such a convenient size. Interstellarum is amazing but I tend to only use it in the field where I need lower detail than the PSA affords but that's relatively infrequent.

Having had a look at all of the suggestions on here I think I might check out the book everyone is recommending - Turn Left at Orion.

For myself I have found a happy medium in YouTube and the software Stellarium which is free, you cant really ask for much more there. I have been using the software to familiarise myself with the sky I can see from my yard and it is surprising how well it has sunk in. Having only been viewing now for a few months I am finding that moving through the sky with my EQ3-2 mount quite easy (no go-to), I can locate stars and constellations with out using any aides and just use the software now as a sanity check. Well worth a go if you haven't already tried it, I find it hard to concentrate on books sometimes.

Good luck, hope it starts to click into place for you.

On 17/08/2020 at 09:41, Stephanos said:

I was wondering which books, maps etc the members would recommend in order to start finding my way through the night sky

In addition to the books, Get an app on your phone such as Skysafari or Stellarium.

BTW, what kind of finder does your scope come with? Older versions of the 130 (I have one) came with a hard to use red dot finder and made it frustrating for me. But newer ones have a decent one, I am told.