Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ethos + power mate?

Dantooine

46 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

That’s a good point made. The physicality looks similar to the 13e, no idea of the weight but I would think it lighter than the 21e. 

860g apparently.
I seems to be turning into your weight google assistant 😁

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Or even 680?

One site quotes 860g another 23.9oz  (=680g).  I guess the 1st site typoed 680 as 860 and I picked the wrong one to visit.

So I am just like google..... provide the wrong information blindly without checking the source.

• Haha 1

On 16/09/2020 at 12:06, Dantooine said:

That’s very interesting for me. Would you say that the 22 Nagler is a good alternative to the 21 ethos?

I have a pan 27 at the moment and I think it shows about the same field as the Nagler. I have never used a Nagler so for me it’s venturing into the unknown. There is a big difference in price in the uk. 

The 27mm Panoptic has a 30.5mm field stop.

The 22mm Nagler has a 31.1mm field stop

The 21mm Ethos has a 36.2mm field stop.

Yes, I think the 22mm Nagler is a good alternative to the 21mm Ethos, though You might want a really low power, widest-field eyepiece to go wit it.

The Nagler doesn't feel like an Ethos (the 31mm is closer to the Ethos feel), because the field doesn't "wrap around the corner", i.e. you don't have to rock your head as much to see the edge.

And, the large eye lens gives a bit more of a picture window feel to the Nagler's field of view, compared to the "porthole" feel of the Ethos.

[Picture window--all the field is right there and you don't have to get close to see the large field.  Porthole--you have to get close to see the wide field and move to the right to look left and vice versa.

In that sense, the Nagler defines "immersive", while the Ethos is a little more like being in space, where there is no boundary unless you turn your head.  I love them both, but the Nagler works with glasses,

so that's where I went.  From a 22 Panoptic to a 22 Nagler to a 21 Ethos and back to a 22 Nagler.  Not really much of a sacrifice, eh.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

The 27mm Panoptic has a 30.5mm field stop.

The 22mm Nagler has a 31.1mm field stop

The 21mm Ethos has a 36.2mm field stop.

Yes, I think the 22mm Nagler is a good alternative to the 21mm Ethos, though You might want a really low power, widest-field eyepiece to go wit it.

The Nagler doesn't feel like an Ethos (the 31mm is closer to the Ethos feel), because the field doesn't "wrap around the corner", i.e. you don't have to rock your head as much to see the edge.

And, the large eye lens gives a bit more of a picture window feel to the Nagler's field of view, compared to the "porthole" feel of the Ethos.

[Picture window--all the field is right there and you don't have to get close to see the large field.  Porthole--you have to get close to see the wide field and move to the right to look left and vice versa.

In that sense, the Nagler defines "immersive", while the Ethos is a little more like being in space, where there is no boundary unless you turn your head.  I love them both, but the Nagler works with glasses,

so that's where I went.  From a 22 Panoptic to a 22 Nagler to a 21 Ethos and back to a 22 Nagler.  Not really much of a sacrifice, eh.]

Thank you for putting that in a very descriptive way. It’s very useful for me as I’ve not used a Nagler. 

On 17/09/2020 at 19:32, Stardaze said:

I've just weighed my APM 20 = 694g

That’s a much closer weight to my other ep’s. How well do you get on  with it?
My next size down is a 13 and beginning to wonder if this would be a good addition with all things considered, ie cost and weight. Who stocks them?

5 hours ago, Dantooine said:

That’s a much closer weight to my other ep’s. How well do you get on  with it?
My next size down is a 13 and beginning to wonder if this would be a good addition with all things considered, ie cost and weight. Who stocks them?

I really like it but haven’t compared against anything else similar. It can suffer with a little stray light if you’re not totally shielded but it’s comfortable in use, but I don’t wear glasses. Plenty of eye relief anyway. Bought mine directly from APM telescopes, had both of mine from them, about a week delivery. For the money I can’t see how there’s anything better. 

12 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

I really like it but haven’t compared against anything else similar. It can suffer with a little stray light if you’re not totally shielded but it’s comfortable in use, but I don’t wear glasses. Plenty of eye relief anyway. Bought mine directly from APM telescopes, had both of mine from them, about a week delivery. For the money I can’t see how there’s anything better. 

Thanks. I would say if you really like it don’t compare it with something similar. If it’s doing the job you want it to etc..

It’s a good price and sometimes you can’t go full out expensive on every eyepiece, although everyone has a different viewpoint and budget.

From what I can make out from what I’ve been reading most people who have them are full of praise for them and say they are not wanting to “upgrade”.  

There is a massive difference in price in comparison to the 21E and I’m trying to work out if there’s a massive difference in performance, in my telescope probably not. 

The difference in weight for me with my little scope makes the APM quite an attractive Option and would mean I could also get the 3.5mm and top n tail my set.  

Some soul searching and common sense is needed on my part, that’s the hard choice I have to make 🤨

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Thanks. I would say if you really like it don’t compare it with something similar. If it’s doing the job you want it to etc..

It’s a good price and sometimes you can’t go full out expensive on every eyepiece, although everyone has a different viewpoint and budget.

From what I can make out from what I’ve been reading most people who have them are full of praise for them and say they are not wanting to “upgrade”.  

There is a massive difference in price in comparison to the 21E and I’m trying to work out if there’s a massive difference in performance, in my telescope probably not. 

The difference in weight for me with my little scope makes the APM quite an attractive Option and would mean I could also get the 3.5mm and top n tail my set.  

Some soul searching and common sense is needed on my part, that’s the hard choice I have to make 🤨

It’s a no brainer 😉

Just been out using the 13/20 and they really are great EP’s. I think it depends if you’d hanker after the 21E still. I will probably swap the APM 13 for an Ethos at some point but I won’t swap the 20. Going to add the APM 30 so those two will work for me, with 13/8/6 Ethos. Can’t see that il need anything else. (apart from an XW 3.5 to go with the 5). At that point I won’t swap anything, which is the plan really. 

6 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

It’s a no brainer 😉

Just been out using the 13/20 and they really are great EP’s. I think it depends if you’d hanker after the 21E still. I will probably swap the APM 13 for an Ethos at some point but I won’t swap the 20. Going to add the APM 30 so those two will work for me, with 13/8/6 Ethos. Can’t see that il need anything else. (apart from an XW 3.5 to go with the 5). At that point I won’t swap anything, which is the plan really. 

I have the ethos 13, 8, 6 & 4.7. If I added the apm 20 & 3.5mm I think my set could be complete. (Maybe keep the pan 27 as it’s so cute) 

The ethos would be in the fl range of most used So this is a decision that looks to be making itself. Your input is greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2020 at 20:48, Stardaze said:

Just ordered, I believe you

A45DBC6A-9C53-4E66-ADE0-D1EB8E2CDCA3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

Just ordered, I believe you

A45DBC6A-9C53-4E66-ADE0-D1EB8E2CDCA3.jpeg

Had to be done 😀

One point Don mentioned is the soft cap on the bottom. As the bottom lens is quite bulbous, you could squash it in and touch it I guess. I happened to have a harder one in a drawer so have swapped mine. I’m careful anyway so probably wouldn’t have been an issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Had to be done 😀

One point Don mentioned is the soft cap on the bottom. As the bottom lens is quite bulbous, you could squash it in and touch it I guess. I happened to have a harder one in a drawer so have swapped mine. I’m careful anyway so probably wouldn’t have been an issue.

Oh no worries I have a spare tv one from the bottom of my 4.7 as it makes that one to long in the case. Then I can pretend it’s a tv 😁

52 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Had to be done 😀

That's a good point - the Myriad 100's had those and it was rather too easy to leave a mark on the bottom lens.

Contrats on the APM 20 / 100 @Dantouine. I'm sure it will impress greatly :thumbright:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John said:

That's a good point - the Myriad 100's had those and it was rather too easy to leave a mark on the bottom lens.

Contrats on the APM 20 / 100 @Dantouine. I'm sure it will impress greatly :thumbright:

Now that’s on its way, the apm 3.5mm looks a good option for rare nights without a massive outlay... does this ever end 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dantooine said:

Now that’s on its way, the apm 3.5mm looks a good option for rare nights without a massive outlay... does this ever end 😱

It could go on and on, there are the Nikon Nav HW's and Docter 12.5mm which are reported to be a step up again from the Ethos in performance :evil4:

And the TV Apollo 11.

Got to stop somewhere though !

27 minutes ago, John said:

It could go on and on, there are the Nikon Nav HW's and Docter 12.5mm which are reported to be a step up again from the Ethos in performance :evil4:

And the TV Apollo 11.

And ZAOs at the short end along with Zeiss surgical microscope eyepieces for binoviewers.  There are even the unobtainium Zeiss professional observatory monocentrics of which only a handful were made and delivered to observatories many years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

And the TV Apollo 11.

I skip the Apollo 11 and wait for the mars 1. 

• Haha 2