Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Little Wizardry NGC-7380

MarkAR

Hi all, I've been imaging The Wizard for over a month now in-between all the cloudy nights and manages a total of 17 hours and 24 minutes of integration.

All processing done with PI using the Hubble palette.

Ha: 16 x 360s + 16 x 720s

Oiii: 21 x 360s + 21 x 720s

Sii: 21 x 360s + 21 x 720s

D_NGC_7380_SHO_TRAD.thumb.jpg.ad211caaefcebb2c3f1afd022cc35be2.jpg

Big tiff file attached for all you pixelpeepers.

Let me know of anything further you think I can do with it.

D_NGC_7380_SHO_TRAD.tif

• Like 24

Cheers mate, framing wise I think I could have moved it up a little to get a little more of the nebulosity. As for the stars I've no idea whyI get such good colours, lucky I guess.

Strange thing with this is that I didn't have to do any background extraction, ABE just made it look worse so I didn't even bother with DBE.

On 16/08/2020 at 16:51, MarkAR said:

Hi all, I've been imaging The Wizard for over a month now in-between all the cloudy nights and manages a total of 17 hours and 24 minutes of integration.

All processing done with PI using the Hubble palette.

Ha: 16 x 360s + 16 x 720s

Oiii: 21 x 360s + 21 x 720s

Sii: 21 x 360s + 21 x 720s

D_NGC_7380_SHO_TRAD.thumb.jpg.ad211caaefcebb2c3f1afd022cc35be2.jpg

Big tiff file attached for all you pixelpeepers.

Let me know of anything further you think I can do with it.

D_NGC_7380_SHO_TRAD.tif 131.76 MB · 0 downloads

Lovely image Mark. I like the framing too. Most seem to present this rotated 90 degrees CW, to show the Wizard in an upright position, but i actually find it too distracting. I much prefer your framing. 

The only thing that springs to mind is the magenta tinge to the stars. Most imagers don't seem to like this (i actually don't mind it so much, it reminds me of Hubble's images, but i seem to be in the minority here), but a simple solution is to invert the image, then run SCNR Green (or HLVG for PS users) and then re-invert it again. 

Here is the effect of applying it at 100% in PS (jpg). Although if it were me, i would lower the opacity to something like 70% to allow some of the warmth to filter through to the stars. 

D_NGC_7380_SHO_TRAD.thumb.jpg.049f3cb1dde02a760f9ff37fd50c5d31.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thankyou all for the lovely comments, Still learning but the results are getting better all the time.

@Xiga Thanks for the tip, I did actually run the invert/SCNR in PI, can't remember if I did 100% or less or maybe its so strong it needs a second dose. You're right that it does add a little more warmth with the slight magenta so I think I'll leave it for now.

I was thinking of doing a Dylan O'Donnel guaranteed APOD rendering when I saw one image of the Wizard that did win, quite tempting to try to burn out eyeballs. 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Thankyou all for the lovely comments, Still learning but the results are getting better all the time.

@Xiga Thanks for the tip, I did actually run the invert/SCNR in PI, can't remember if I did 100% or less or maybe its so strong it needs a second dose. You're right that it does add a little more warmth with the slight magenta so I think I'll leave it for now.

I was thinking of doing a Dylan O'Donnel guaranteed APOD rendering when I saw one image of the Wizard that did win, quite tempting to try to burn out eyeballs. 🤣

Funny you should mention Dylan. I'm also an O'Donnell. I've seen a few of his Youtube vids (felt like i had to really, being distant relatives and all, lol). I quite enjoyed them. Made me want a RASA! 😄 

• Like 1