SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon 800D (Rebel T7i) or Canon 250D (Rebel SL3)?

Hi,

I've recently bought a 150/750mm Skywatcher reflector on a EQ-5 mount (no autoguide) and finally managed to get to a place without light pollution, it was an amazing experience seeing DSO's for the first time with my own eyes (until built up condensation on the mirror stopped the session after about 2 hours).

Now I'm thinking about slowly getting the gear needed for some basic astrophotography and I'll start with a camera to shoot planets and short exposure images of stars, until I get a GoTo setup to put on my mount. I'm not willing to buy a new mount (HEQ-5) for at least another 6-12 months.

For my current budget these are the two best options, I want to use the camera for day time use also so I don't plan on modifying it. Both cameras have almost identical specs, so I would go for the newer 250D which supports 4K video (at 24FPS), newer processor (DIGIC 8 ) and better power use, but it has only 9 focus points compared to the 800D which has 45. From what I understand having more points helps autofocus better but does it matter when photographing the sky with manual focus?

Also, since I'll first start by shooting (filming) planets, would filming in 4K (24FPS) capture noticeable more detail than 1080p (60FPS), or 1080p is enough? 

Any reason to choose the 800D instead, something I might have missed? 

If you have any opinions on this matter please share!

Disclamer: I haven't looked at cameras from other brands.

1 hour ago, BogdanMD said:

For my current budget these are the two best options, I want to use the camera for day time use also so I don't plan on modifying it. Both cameras have almost identical specs, so I would go for the newer 250D which supports 4K video (at 24FPS), newer processor (DIGIC 8 ) and better power use, but it has only 9 focus points compared to the 800D which has 45. From what I understand having more points helps autofocus better but does it matter when photographing the sky with manual focus?

Also, since I'll first start by shooting (filming) planets, would filming in 4K (24FPS) capture noticeable more detail than 1080p (60FPS), or 1080p is enough? 

Any reason to choose the 800D instead, something I might have missed? 

If you have any opinions on this matter please share!

Disclamer: I haven't looked at cameras from other brands.

Hi, 

The auto focus points makes no difference in astrophotography, as you'll be shooting at prime focus, and an the auto function of a camera is absolutely useless in this case. The only benefit with more focus points would be in daytime photography with a camera lens. 

4k 1080p all the numbers are fancy, but you need a high frame rate camera for planetary photography. So higher fps is always better for planetary photography. 

I'd suggest going to with a second hand, 600D that's a great camera for getting into astrophotography, anything over that in a DSLR is essentially a gimmick in astrophotography world. 

Hope that helps. 

Good Luck 

Nishant 

• Thanks 1

So higher framerate is prefarable to higher resolution (for planets)? What might be the reasoning for that? I thought I could get the same number of frames by recording longer videos.

I'll check out second hand cameras although I usually refrain from buying SH since many seller are less than honest in my country. I any case I assume from your pov either of those cameras are fine for AP.

For planetary photography, the higher frame rate will get you more usable frames, than longer videos. 

If you consider, the planets are really small, and you don't need a big sensor area to capture all the details. Higher frame rates allow you capture frequent frames minimising the effects of atmospheric distortion. 

I don't know much sky either if the camera's, but I'd imagine they both should work fine. 

• Thanks 1