Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Professional cleaning service for baader Hyperion zoom?

BS269

My baader Hyperion zoom mk iii has 3 large specs of dust on the inside of the lens, which is quite frustrating given I pack it away properly after every use.. I don’t want to take the thing apart and previous posts on this are either pretty old or inconclusive. 

surely there must be a proper service for something like this? As I bought second hand a while ago I can’t just return it. Giving it a light bang on the table hasn’t been successful so far and I’m worried about doing it too much. Hoping large telescope stores like RVO provide a service?

cheers!

This is a very common issue with Baader Zooms.

Slam the eyepiece into your other hand several times to see if you can dislodge the specks.

Otherwise, look at the sky through the eyepiece.

Can you see the specks?  No?  Then run the zoom from one end to the other.  See the specks?

No--don't worry about it--they won't have any visual effect.  Yes--then you either need to dismantle the eyepiece and blow them away or have someone else do it for you.

Make sure the outside lens surfaces are clean before doing the sky test.

My 30mm APM has about a half dozen tiny specks inside that are visible in a very bright flashlight, but not visible otherwise.

I used the eyepiece a year before I thought to check it, and they cannot be seen.  They have no visual effect at all.

It's no different than a few specks of dust on a lens or mirror.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

This is a very common issue with Baader Zooms.

Slam the eyepiece into your other hand several times to see if you can dislodge the specks.

Otherwise, look at the sky through the eyepiece.

Can you see the specks?  No?  Then run the zoom from one end to the other.  See the specks?

No--don't worry about it--they won't have any visual effect.  Yes--then you either need to dismantle the eyepiece and blow them away or have someone else do it for you.

Make sure the outside lens surfaces are clean before doing the sky test.

My 30mm APM has about a have dozen tiny specks inside that are visible in a very bright flashlight, but not visible otherwise.

I used the eyepiece a year before I thought to check it, and they cannot be seen.  They have no visual effect at all.

It's no different than a few specks of dust on a lens or mirror.

I’ll keep trying knocking them out of place, but I’m worried about doing it too much. The reason I knew they were there was by looking through the eyepiece in daylight, and they’re visible through quite a lot of the range, with it being sharpest about 18mm. I’ve seen multiple people saying to not dismantle it myself and I’d be worried about causing more bad then good, which is why I wanted to send it off to someone preferably. Do you know any companies that might do this sort of thing?

On 16/08/2020 at 19:34, jock1958 said:

Try SCTelescopes in Tonbridge run by a guy called Steve Collingwood. I know he services Telescopes not sure about eyepieces though?

I’ll give it a search, cheers!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Louis D said:

I would think you would only see the specs when lunar or solar viewing.

I agree, but they are quite big and one is fairly central so could affect nebula views. It’s more just annoying that it’s there when I’ve barely used it and I store it away properly. I bought it second hand but there wasn’t these specs at the time of purchase.