SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starting a new astronomy club / society / group

jadcx

Does anyone have any experience of starting a new astronomy club / society / group?  Here's why I'm asking...

I live in a classically light polluted city (Nottingham) and while there are a few astronomy clubs around, they all meet (understandably and advantageously) outside of the city.  I don't have a car (not a sensible one anyway, the 1969 Vitesse isn't so appealing in the colder or wetter months) and so it's actually very difficult to travel out.  So I've come to wonder about trying to start a city based group, which accepts that light pollution is nightmarish, but meets anyway to observe when possible, and enjoy some social connection with like-minded others.  Clearly I'm also thinking ahead to those fantasy times when we can be near each other again too!

I'm aware of the Baker Street Irregulars (such a great name) who meet in central London, and while I know that Nottingham is not London, wondered if this had any potential.  What do you think?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jadcx said:

Does anyone have any experience of starting a new astronomy club / society / group?  Here's why I'm asking...

I live in a classically light polluted city (Nottingham) and while there are a few astronomy clubs around, they all meet (understandably and advantageously) outside of the city.  I don't have a car (not a sensible one anyway, the 1969 Vitesse isn't so appealing in the colder or wetter months) and so it's actually very difficult to travel out.  So I've come to wonder about trying to start a city based group, which accepts that light pollution is nightmarish, but meets anyway to observe when possible, and enjoy some social connection with like-minded others.  Clearly I'm also thinking ahead to those fantasy times when we can be near each other again too!

I'm aware of the Baker Street Irregulars (such a great name) who meet in central London, and while I know that Nottingham is not London, wondered if this had any potential.  What do you think?

What do I think? Well, it seems a shame to set up another astro soc when, as you say, there are others already in the area. There is also the danger than it dilutes their efforts and resources.

From what you are saying, you'd like to observe and chat with others. It might be worth contacting some of the existing AS's and see if there is a subset of their membership that would like to do just that. Better still, when things are back to normal, go along to a meeting and see if there are like minded people there that might want to do this.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

What do I think? Well, it seems a shame to set up another astro soc when, as you say, there are others already in the area. There is also the danger than it dilutes their efforts and resources.

From what you are saying, you'd like to observe and chat with others. It might be worth contacting some of the existing AS's and see if there is a subset of their membership that would like to do just that. Better still, when things are back to normal, go along to a meeting and see if there are like minded people there that might want to do this.

I *think* I agree with you, but part of my reasons for thinking about this is that it’s actually not very easy to go and meet with them.  There might be a sub-set, and I have no interest in diluting what might be an already struggling economy.   The outcome might well be that it’s subset of an existing group that are interested, but then, when does that become a new group?  I don’t think it has to be a binary choice.

I run one of the two monthly meetings for Nottingham Astronomical Society, the one held at Plumtree which is devoted more to the amateur issues; the other monthly meeting is usually an academic talking about a topic which may have less relevance to the practical amateur astronomer, but appeals to many of us with an interest in astrophysics, space science etc. The latter meeting is held in Gotham. For the last few months both meetings have been online and accessible through the website.

Observing from the city centre is possible, the moon, sun and planets can all be observed and imaged relatively easily and well if visible. Deep sky targets can also be imaged if using narrow band.

If you can find a venue, I can see there may well be demand for a City Centre Astronomers group, who could meet up and chat about stuff. The issue clearly at present is COVID-19. 

Get in touch if you want to combine forces. 

James

• Like 2

Just an observation. I was involved in astronomical society admin and organisation for very many years (decades) and I was involved at all levels - local, regional, and national. The world of astronomy is not a large one. The costs of running physical meetings are significant involving many things such as room hire, public liability insurance (PLI), costs of speakers if you have them etc. Some societies are lucky and face low overheads, but that is rare these days. 

I have always found it odd that members of societies often have an unrealistic view of what is an acceptable subscription rate. I've known societies with very modest subscription fees have huge fights over rises in fees of just a few pounds. By way of comparison, almost every music group that I know that has to hire a school hall or similar, faces subs of around £120 - £160 p.a.

Unless there is a definite 'gap' in the local market, it would be preferable to work with an existing group. Clubs often fracture for various reasons, including differences of opinion about "what" a club should be doing. The end result tends to be no club at all as neither proves to be viable.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jambouk said:

I run one of the two monthly meetings for Nottingham Astronomical Society, the one held at Plumtree which is devoted more to the amateur issues; the other monthly meeting is usually an academic talking about a topic which may have less relevance to the practical amateur astronomer, but appeals to many of us with an interest in astrophysics, space science etc. The latter meeting is held in Gotham. For the last few months both meetings have been online and accessible through the website.

Observing from the city centre is possible, the moon, sun and planets can all be observed and imaged relatively easily and well if visible. Deep sky targets can also be imaged if using narrow band.

If you can find a venue, I can see there may well be demand for a City Centre Astronomers group, who could meet up and chat about stuff. The issue clearly at present is COVID-19. 

Get in touch if you want to combine forces. 

James

Hi James

Regretfully your meetings are on the list of things that I find difficult to get to, although I do hear/read good things about them :)

As much as I believe that there is possibly a city based contingent of interested people, I really have no interest in dividing what is likely to be a relatively small market.  But at the same time it feels presumptuous to propose a joint venture with a group  have no previous involvement with.  All that aside, some kind of combined approach seems eminently sensible.  My imaginings are very much centred around the practical (probably predominantly visually) observing, which can easily well into the DSO range.  If you think there could be some take-up then let's talk more.  What's the worst that could happen?

Justin

1 hour ago, Tenor Viol said:

Just an observation. I was involved in astronomical society admin and organisation for very many years (decades) and I was involved at all levels - local, regional, and national. The world of astronomy is not a large one. The costs of running physical meetings are significant involving many things such as room hire, public liability insurance (PLI), costs of speakers if you have them etc. Some societies are lucky and face low overheads, but that is rare these days. 

I have always found it odd that members of societies often have an unrealistic view of what is an acceptable subscription rate. I've known societies with very modest subscription fees have huge fights over rises in fees of just a few pounds. By way of comparison, almost every music group that I know that has to hire a school hall or similar, faces subs of around £120 - £160 p.a.

Unless there is a definite 'gap' in the local market, it would be preferable to work with an existing group. Clubs often fracture for various reasons, including differences of opinion about "what" a club should be doing. The end result tends to be no club at all as neither proves to be viable.  

I'm familiar with the mindset you are referring to, albeit not in an astronomy related setting.  I have no idea where my ideas will end up, maybe a new venture to expand an existing group, maybe a whole new entity in what ever form it may be, or maybe nothing at all.  I guess I'm just embracing a moment of wondering 'maybe I could...' rather than 'isn't it a shame that...'.

1 hour ago, Tenor Viol said:

Hellfire!  I should have encouraged my children to take up music.  The swimming club they were at cost closer to £600 pa for each of them.  And that was cheap.  Some of the others nearby are closer to £1,500 pa.

James

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Hellfire!  I should have encouraged my children to take up music.  The swimming club they were at cost closer to £600 pa for each of them.  And that was cheap.  Some of the others nearby are closer to £1,500 pa.

James

It's not all roses and rainbows, those flutes and oboes are damned expensive...