SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does quality of night sky influence your Holiday destination?

Aramcheck

Q for APPG consultation response  

29 members have voted

1. 1. "Does the quality of the night sky influence your Holiday destination?"

• YES
    • NO

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/08/20 at 11:00

I'm putting together a response to the UK Government's new Dark Sky consultation from out local Astronomy Soc in Leeds.

https://appgdarkskies.co.uk/dark-skies-consultation

Thought it might be an idea to try to find out how many of us plan holidays around dark skies?

(Since my wife & i have taken up astronomy, I'm always checking the light pollution map & moon phase & looking for suitable accommodation)

Any responses gratefully received!

Thanks
Ivor

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

Quite a wide statement, is your question targeting the U.K. or holidays world wide?

Both UK and abroad. Although the consultation is aimed at the UK, I think it's fair game to count travel abroad to dark sites.

Thanks
Ivor

My wife not only selects places around the world with access to very dark skies, but she will ensure we travel between 3/4 and 1/4 moon to minimise its impact on my stargazing.  Its a win - win in her mind, as she gets to go to amazing places, and I get to stargaze under Bortle Class 1 and 2 skies.

Even our honeymoon was timed to match that lunar calendar (and by extension our wedding as that was a week early around full moon)!  Worth it though....View above our villa.

1323355442_VimiziPano-1Resize.thumb.jpg.ef6c4eb2c1527c5e960e794e197ccfaa.jpg

Edited by DirkSteele
typo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

My wife not only selects places around the world with access to very dark skies, but she will ensure we travel between 3/4 and 1/4 moon to minimise its impact on my stargazing.  Its a win - win in her mind, as she gets to go to amazing places, and I get to stargaze under Bortle Class 1 and 2 skies.

Even our honeymoon was timed to match that lunar calendar (and by extension our wedding as that was a week early around full moon)!  Worth it though....View above our villa.

1323355442_VimiziPano-1Resize.thumb.jpg.ef6c4eb2c1527c5e960e794e197ccfaa.jpg

We’re similar, Matthew - though not quite on the same level of organisation as you! Holidays are often the only opportunities I get each year to experience really dark skies, so it’s critical that we plan around the lunar cycle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I go camping with my children in the U.K., I definitely pick times and places with decent skies and if possible avoiding full Moon.

With other holidays it is a consideration but doesn’t define what we do; it is just a factor of, say, choosing between two otherwise equally favourable locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Answered YES, as the last few holidays were timed with the moon, and for fairly dark locations.

Even more importantly, when I moved house the Light Pollution map was as important as the Right Move map. Now my location is at least as dark as the places I went on holiday to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely when camping. Trips are planned around moon phases, the Bortle/sqm score and the likelihood of local light pollution, which usually means a small rural site, several miles from a town.

The rest of the time I go with the flow...

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tricky one. Over the last 10 years or so, most of our holidays have been taken either in Northumberland or Dumfries & Galloway. The choice for both my wife and myself has been somewhere near the coast, wild,  quiet, unspoiled (relatively), and not too long a drive from West Yorkshire. The spin off for both locations is that they are dark, but that wasn't the prime reason for choosing them.

Moving on, literally, we liked Dumfries and Galloway so much we moved here so I'm a lucky guy. Holidays are not too much of topic of discussion at the moment but guessing it will be still somewhere that fits the above criteria. Scottish Highlands?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m pretty new to this but since becoming obsessed i’d say yes definitely- i live in a bortle 8-9 region so any opportunity for darker skies is welcome and actually a good justification to take a holiday.

Thanks for doing this btw- it looks like quite a lot of effort! If the outcome is an effort to reduce light pollution then i think that benefits everyone really so thank you 

Edited by markse68
  • Thanks 1

I've answered no, but my normally annual holiday is to Kazakhstan to see the in-laws, also coincides with some of the planets darkest skies, I don't need to have the decision influenced.

What am I talking about? Mrs.C decides when and where we go on holiday anyway😂

Edited by Roy Challen

I've answered Yes, but really it is 'sometimes'. I have a UK holiday in September to Skye, but the final location on Skye was selected by reference to light pollution maps. If booking a cottage in the UK, it's always region first, then sky quality second - as it is never just a trip for me to look at the skies!

Long Haul holidays are never about sky quality, but for several years I have been traveling to Iceland for the Aurora and that is absolutely based on location and quality of sky.

4 minutes ago, Paz said:

I'm the only person interested in astronomy in my household, and I get outvoted by other considerations so it's a no from me.

Then you have to sell something/somewhere that appeals in a way they desire, but just happens to have dark skies. Nasca lines, Easter Island, Machu Pichu, Badlands, Big Bend National Park etc. Lots of way cool places just happen to also have nice dark skies. Guile and distraction!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, theropod said:

Then you have to sell something/somewhere that appeals in a way they desire, but just happens to have dark skies. Nasca lines, Easter Island, Machu Pichu, Badlands, Big Bend National Park etc. Lots of way cool places just happen to also have nice dark skies. Guile and distraction!

That is true, I will give that a try next time we are planning.

Always. If possible, I always keep an eye out for the darkest site possible and plan during new moon weeks. Not only because of astronomy but also because my family and I like the peace and quite (away from crowded places like we’re used to living in a city).