SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Setting up an MQTT system for Weather Sensing and Astro Control

Gina

If you are not already storing and reading from a database to make the graphs, I think you will always be subject to disruption You can get a similar log using MQTT explorer, might be worth running that and comparing to see if it's a NodeRed issue or something else.  Pressure doesn't change that quickly. I run a 3 hour average and use that to derive trend (rising, falling) I do the average on the ESP unit and also broadcast the trend string on MQTT

• Thanks 1

I think I would prefer to keep a database on a separate unit from any of the sensor modules and read that for the history as in a "proper" weather station.

Interestingly, all the temperature histories have gone but the pressure history has come back completely from when I set up this morning.  All the histories gone from the Dashboard are still showing in the MQTT Explorer, so It seems to me that the problem is in the Dashboard display or Node-RED.

1745969541_Screenshotfrom2020-08-2020-26-53.thumb.png.6aa9d83d203d30787d9a54504284dadc.png

Edited by Gina

5 hours ago, Gina said:

MQTT Explorer history doesn't go as far back.  Is there any way of getting more history in MQTT Explorer?

I think you just need to keep it running and see if there is an issue you can then observe between the two system and make sense of.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm hoping to.  I have an Arduino which was set up for data logging on an SD card, some years ago.  Maybe I can connect that into my MQTT network.  OTOH I don't know if I still have the sketch I used.  I don't think there's any way of recovering the sketch from the Arduino as the code is compiled before uploading.  May be quicker/easier to just start anew.  The data was stored as a text file with one line per data point.

• Like 1

Just looked at the dashboard and something has happened.  Had to restart MQTT Explorer as that just showed an empty window.  Now it's just showing data since I started it.

631881765_Screenshotfrom2020-08-2110-57-38.png.5a47f2af5db31d8ebc3d7b4e3f693a48.png

I'm now looking at the wind sensors unit.  Anemometer and wind vane.

The anemometer has a Hall device which has an open collector output and Schmitt trigger incorporated so the o/p is digital.  This would look the same as a button to the ESP32.  The rotating part has two magnets giving 2 pulses per revolution.  I've worked out that this would give one pulse per mph with a 2s counting time.  The usual sampling period for the other sensors is 5s so I might go for 4s period rather than 2s.  Anyway, I can decide that later.  The signal from the Hall sensor will trigger an interrupt to count pulses while the time in between will read the wind vane and do some calculations for wind direction.

This is a sketch I have found for ESP32 interrupt processing.

struct Button {
  const uint8_t PIN;
  uint32_t numberKeyPresses;
  bool pressed;
};

Button button1 = {18, 0, false};

void IRAM_ATTR isr() {
  button1.numberKeyPresses += 1;
  button1.pressed = true;
}

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  pinMode(button1.PIN, INPUT_PULLUP);
  attachInterrupt(button1.PIN, isr, FALLING);
}

void loop() {
  if (button1.pressed) {
      Serial.printf("Button 1 has been pressed %u times\n", button1.numberKeyPresses);
      button1.pressed = false;
  }

//Detach Interrupt after 1 Minute
  static uint32_t lastMillis = 0;
  if (millis() - lastMillis > 60000) {
    lastMillis = millis();
    detachInterrupt(button1.PIN);
  Serial.println("Interrupt Detached!");
  }
}

I doubt there would be any reason to detach the interrupt in my case.  Instead there would be procedures called every so often from the void loop to process the count and the wind direction.  This code will be integrated into the MQTT sketch.  The button.pressed state will need moving to the ISR I think.  I'll think about that.

Edited by Gina

While the Button sketch is fairly close to the operation I want it's not right but that and another example using a PIR device to cause an interrupt have given me the information I need.

The Hall sensor will trigger an interrupt and the ISR will count the pulses.  In the Loop I will time the period using millis as with the other MQTT sketches.  This will produce a timing loop which will take the count and send it to the broker then reset the count. 

This is the code for the Hall sensor interrupt setup with Serial Monitor for testing..

/*********
  Rui Santos
  Complete project details at https://randomnerdtutorials.com  
* Modifued by Gina for Wind Sensors
*/

const int intervalSeconds = 4;  //  Set sampling interval in seconds

// Set GPIO for Hall Sensor
const int HallSensorPin = 27;
int PulseCount = 0;

// Timer: Auxiliary variables
unsigned long now = millis();
unsigned long lastMsg = millis();

// Checks if Hall sensor was triggered
void IRAM_ATTR HallTriggered() {
//  Serial.println("Hall Triggered");
  ++PulseCount; // Increment count
}

void setup() {
  // Serial port for debugging purposes
  Serial.begin(115200);

// Hall Sensor mode INPUT_PULLUP
  pinMode(HallSensorPin, INPUT_PULLUP);
  // Set HallSensor pin as interrupt, assign interrupt function and set FALLING mode
  attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(HallSensorPin), HallTriggered, FALLING);
}

void loop() {
  // Current time
  now = millis();
  // 
  if(now - lastMsg > (intervalSeconds*1000)) {
    Serial.println("PulseCount :- ");
    PulseCount = 0;
    lastMsg = now;
  }
}

I think this might work.  (Password removed,)

/*********
  Rui Santos
  Complete project details at https://randomnerdtutorials.com  
Modified and added to by Gina 2020-08-21
*/

const int intervalSeconds = 4;  //  Set sampling interval in seconds

// Set GPIO for Hall Sensor
const int HallSensorPin = 27;
int PulseCount = 0;

#include <WiFi.h>
#include <PubSubClient.h>
#include <Wire.h>

// Replace the next variables with your SSID/Password combination
const char* ssid = "Ubiquity";
const char* password = "--------";

const char* mqtt_server = "192.168.1.250";

WiFiClient windClient;
PubSubClient client(windClient);
long lastMsg = 0;
char msg[50];
int value = 0;

// Checks if Hall sensor was triggered
void IRAM_ATTR HallTriggered() {
//  Serial.println("Hall Triggered");
  ++PulseCount; // Increment count
}

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  setup_wifi();
  client.setServer(mqtt_server, 1883);
  client.setCallback(callback);

// Hall Sensor mode INPUT_PULLUP
  pinMode(HallSensorPin, INPUT_PULLUP);
  // Set HallSensor pin as interrupt, assign interrupt function and set FALLING mode
  attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(HallSensorPin), HallTriggered, FALLING);
}

void setup_wifi() {
  delay(10);
  // We start by connecting to a WiFi network
  Serial.println();
  Serial.print("Connecting to ");
  Serial.println(ssid);

WiFi.begin(ssid, password);

while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
    delay(500);
    Serial.print(".");
  }

Serial.println("");
  Serial.println("WiFi connected");
  Serial.println("IP address: ");
  Serial.println(WiFi.localIP());
}

void callback(char* topic, byte* message, unsigned int length) {
  Serial.print("Message arrived on topic: ");
  Serial.print(topic);
  Serial.print(". Message: ");
  String messageTemp;

for (int i = 0; i < length; i++) {
    Serial.print((char)message[i]);
    messageTemp += (char)message[i];
  }
  Serial.println();

// Feel free to add more if statements to control more GPIOs with MQTT

}

void reconnect() {
  // Loop until we're reconnected
  while (!client.connected()) {
    Serial.print("Attempting MQTT connection...");
    // Attempt to connect
    if (client.connect("windClient")) {
      Serial.println("connected");
      // Subscribe
//      client.subscribe("esp32/output");
//      client.subscribe("esp32/roof");
    } else {
      Serial.print("failed, rc=");
      Serial.print(client.state());
      Serial.println(" try again in 5 seconds");
      // Wait 5 seconds before retrying
      delay(5000);
    }
  }
}
void loop() {
  if (!client.connected()) {
    reconnect();
  }
  client.loop();

long now = millis();
  if(now - lastMsg > (intervalSeconds*1000)) {
    Serial.println("PulseCount :- ");
    lastMsg = now;

// Convert the value to a char array
    char countString[8];
    dtostrf(PulseCount, 1, 0, countString);
    Serial.print("Count: ");
    Serial.println(countString);
    client.publish("wind/speed", countString);
    PulseCount = 0;
  }
}

Edited by Gina

Latest dashboard display.  Hoping to get the wind speed working today, though this is only the speed sampled every 4 seconds.  From this, mean and gust speeds will be calculated in a later sketch.

51895671_Screenshotfrom2020-08-2207-29-16.thumb.png.02ce5859185d420a70cc67f99b85b69b.png

Gone back to my calculations of the relationship of wind speed to pps from the Hall sensor.  With 4 magnets it worked out at a little under 1mph per pps, so with 2 magnets it's mph for counts in a 2s period.  Actually, the figure has come out as 2.3.  If I use 4.6s as the interval between readings I can divide by 2 for mph.  I thought of using just one magnet but that would unbalance the anemometer, though admittedly with those small magnets close to the axis, maybe not much.

Alternatively, maybe a 2.3s interval would be alright and would simplify the calculations.  It doesn't necessarily mean that messages are sent at that rate.  I'm reluctant to send messages over MQTT too often but I may be over cautious..

Edited by Gina

Been looking at the Met Office definitions of Mean and Gust speeds:-

The gust speed and direction are defined by the maximum three second average wind speed occurring in any period…overall wind intensity is defined by the average speed and direction over the ten-minute period leading up to the reporting time. Mean wind over other averaging periods may also be calculated.” Met Office

With Gust being wind speed in a 3s period, this seems to be what I should use as the Interval.  If I were to use a 10m period for the Mean wind speed, I think I would like a rolling average so that it doesn't produce big changes in the displayed Mean Wind Speed.  Looks like the wind ESP32 will be doing quite a lot of work, processing all this data but it does seem to be a fast processor.  We shall see!

46 minutes ago, Gina said:

Looks like the wind ESP32 will be doing quite a lot of work, processing all this data but it does seem to be a fast processor

Max 240 MHz clock for the esp32 device itself, default 40 MHz for the devkit. Hardly a problem, I would think.

This guy may have some useful information for you

http://www.steves-internet-guide.com/

• Thanks 1

Strange things still happening with the dashboard display.  Every so often it disappears altogether, sometimes some or all of the widgets disappear, sometimes these only show the last few seconds or minutes and most of the time shows everything correctly with full histories. 

I have the Pressure History set to 4 days and data has been retained in the RPi since it was last powered up yesterday (Friday) at about 10am, so it's been holding data for over 24 hours now.  The RPi is being powered by a Raspberry PSU plugged into the UPS system so power has been on continuously.  Seems the data is being held in the RPi and disconnecting sensors makes no difference except that no data is logged while they're off.  Nor does disconnecting the RPi from the Mint box.  So data must be held by either the broker, Node-RED or Dashboard.

Edited by Gina

Had to take the anemometer apart because the pivot had come loose.  Replaced the nut with a Nylock - it won't come loose again!  One of the magnets came out so I'm running on one magnet.  I'll rebalance it later if needed.  It will need 4.4s Interval to to give mph from the pulse count.  I don't think using 4.4s instead for the Gust period rather than 3s will matter much - it won't be going towards an official weather report!