Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Backyard Space Dude

COMPLETED - SOLD Canon 60D CentralDS modified (cooling + astro mod)

Posted (edited)

Cooling modification to cool the sensor to 26 degrees below the ambient temperature.
Astro modified for higher sensitivity to Ha wavelengths.
Full details on the cooling modification on the CentralDS website:
http://www.centralds.net/cam/?p=2728
http://www.centralds...ooled-eos-60d-2

Included:
Dummy battery from Astronomiser - run the camera direct from cigar lighter (or mains with included 12v power adaptor).
Original Canon battery and charger for portability.
Second power adaptor for the cooling fan.
Long USB cable to connect to PC.
Skywatcher DSLR-M48 ring adaptor.
Shutter count - 9507

LCD panel for the cooling unit does not function anymore, but this only displayed the temperature and nothing else so I found it a bit useless anyway.
More photo's and information available on request.

Price as new is roughly £1300. Selling this to fund a new telescope and camera combo.

£450 + postage. Open to offers.

50217566606_cf4055436e_o.jpg

50217787777_fb04133512_o.jpg

50217784912_1220a63c28_o.jpg

50217784922_003a8de7c0_o.jpg

50217787692_8657b87a94_o.jpg

50217787757_27d02871b1_o.jpg

Edited by Backyard Space Dude

Hi can the cooling unit be removed or is it properly attached? 

Best,

2 hours ago, 5haan_A said:

Hi can the cooling unit be removed or is it properly attached? 

Best,

Thanks for the enquiry! It's attached.

Jamie.

Hi, Is the focal plane maintained to enable use with EF lenses?

Cheers

Tony

On 13/08/2020 at 21:44, studdedsole said:

Hi, Is the focal plane maintained to enable use with EF lenses?

Cheers

Tony

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, I have used a Samyang 14mm and canon 50mm successfully with this camera. 

How do you set the temp of the cooling unit if the LCD is broken can this be controlled by PC/INDI/ASCOM. 
 Never used a cooling unit before sorry for the Noob question. 

Are you at kelling heath star party 

Regards Solarboy 

Posted (edited)
On 23/08/2020 at 11:15, Lenny said:

How do you set the temp of the cooling unit if the LCD is broken can this be controlled by PC/INDI/ASCOM. 
 Never used a cooling unit before sorry for the Noob question. 

Not at all to worry! It is not set-point cooling. You plug the cooler in to power and it always runs on full.

5 hours ago, solarboy said:

Are you at kelling heath star party 

Regards Solarboy 

Unfortunately not, that's still on my list of things to do! Not too far from me either...

OK no worries good luck with your sale 

Regards Solarboy 

Hi, 

What is the average temperature delta that you can get out of that setup? And how much does that weights? 

Thank you 

On 08/09/2020 at 22:53, mcbras said:

Hi, 

What is the average temperature delta that you can get out of that setup? And how much does that weights? 

Thank you 

Thanks for the enquiry. The website says about 26 degrees c below ambient, and 1.1kg. I don't have anyway of measuring the temperature from the last subs I used with it, and as stated the LCD on the rear is non-functional. I've never needed to know the temperature of my frames as I'd take darks in the same session.

12 minutes ago, Backyard Space Dude said:

Thanks for the enquiry. The website says about 26 degrees c below ambient, and 1.1kg. I don't have anyway of measuring the temperature from the last subs I used with it, and as stated the LCD on the rear is non-functional. I've never needed to know the temperature of my frames as I'd take darks in the same session.

You can get the temperature from the cr2 files if you use an EXIF viewer. If it helps you can post up a sub or a dark and i can check via EXIFTool

• Like 1

23 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

You can get the temperature from the cr2 files if you use an EXIF viewer. If it helps you can post up a sub or a dark and i can check via EXIFTool

Thanks David! Sent you a pm with some of the more recent files.

On 08/09/2020 at 22:53, mcbras said:

Hi, 

Thank you 

David above has managed to extract the temperature data from the two attached photos, they're -3c on M101 and -9c on the Beehive cluster. I've attached them so anyone can have a look at some raw data examples from the camera.

However, this isn't as good as I thought it was (not quite 26 deg below the ambient those nights) so it got me thinking... I remember using software such as BYEOS that would look at the EXIF data and display the temperature back when the LCD panel was working, and there was always a difference between the two. I seem to remember being told about this before - so I've contacted CentralDS themselves and will let you know their response. 

I've also been informed that the LCD panel probably just needs a battery replacement, so I'll sort that tomorrow!

M101_Light_600_secs_010.cr2 M_44_Light_300_secs_015.cr2

Yes that LCD has two button batteries in it, should work once replaced and to be honest even if it doesnt work then you can buy that LCD unit on Amazon. 

Adam

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam J said:

Yes that LCD has two button batteries in it, should work once replaced and to be honest even if it doesnt work then you can buy that LCD unit on Amazon. 

Adam

Thanks Adam! You lot are so very helpful here! :D

On 12/09/2020 at 08:12, Backyard Space Dude said:

David above has managed to extract the temperature data from the two attached photos, they're -3c on M101 and -9c on the Beehive cluster. I've attached them so anyone can have a look at some raw data examples from the camera.

However, this isn't as good as I thought it was (not quite 26 deg below the ambient those nights) so it got me thinking... I remember using software such as BYEOS that would look at the EXIF data and display the temperature back when the LCD panel was working, and there was always a difference between the two. I seem to remember being told about this before - so I've contacted CentralDS themselves and will let you know their response. 

I've also been informed that the LCD panel probably just needs a battery replacement, so I'll sort that tomorrow!

M101_Light_600_secs_010.cr2 23.42 MB · 11 downloads M_44_Light_300_secs_015.cr2 23.68 MB · 8 downloads

Thanks for getting back with this. The mod still allows the use of an AC/DC battery adapter, I presume, correct? 

Just out of interest how has the camera filter been modded? I've had a read on the site and it's a little vague. Has the anti-aliasing filter been removed? Also can the sensor cleaning function still be used?

On 29/09/2020 at 20:35, mcbras said:

Thanks for getting back with this. The mod still allows the use of an AC/DC battery adapter, I presume, correct? 

Not 100% certain what you mean, but I use it with a dummy battery adapter from Astronomiser which means I can use it connected to the mains rather than battery.

On 03/10/2020 at 16:04, cuivenion said:

Just out of interest how has the camera filter been modded? I've had a read on the site and it's a little vague. Has the anti-aliasing filter been removed? Also can the sensor cleaning function still be used?

unfortunately I don’t know. I’m really not that technical (if you hadn’t already guessed by the previous comments haha). I am able to select the sensor cleaning function through settings and it seems to work, but I don’t know if it physically does anything.

thank you all for the continued interest, but unfortunately since I have returned from some time away it seems the fan has stopped functioning completely. I am able to connect multiple power adaptors, which the unit recognised as the red LED lights up, but the fan does not spin. The temperature sensor then dips by a few degrees before then increasing, and the unit gets hot to the touch. I should imagine there is some faulty cabling internally or maybe the unit has simply died. I’ll start another thread somewhere more applicable to see if anyone has any ideas. If not, I may be selling for parts!