Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

H-Beta filter owners

bish

Hello all,

I am hopefully going to Kielder this year.  I have seen the Horse head in a 10" with H-Beta from there, but not my kit.  As much as I would like to try with my 250px, I am not sure about how useful a £90 H-Beta would be other than occasional dark sky trips just for the HH. My Oiii works a treat on the veil from a very light polluted back garden, and UHC also comes in handy. I think the H-Beta may be too limited to justify the money. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by bish

I have the Astronomik H-Beta in the 1.25" size. Apart from the Horsehead Nebula I have not really used it on much else :dontknow:

I'm glad that I have it because seeing the HH was a long held objective of mine.

My UHC and O-III filters see a lot, lot more use.

Perhaps we need a rental / loan arrangement for these seldom used tools ?

• Like 2

I had a 1000 Oaks H.Beta filter and failed to see the HH from home. At one of the SGL star parties a few years ago I saw the HH using a 16" Dob and an Astronomik H.Beta filter. I have since bought another H.Beta filter but I have not seen it since.

I have a TeleVue Nebustar UHC filter and its bandwidth covers the 486 line so I will try again this winter.

If I was going to a really dark site I think I would try using a UHC filter  buying a H.Beta filter.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I had a 1000 Oaks H.Beta filter and failed to see the HH from home. At one of the SGL star parties a few years ago I saw the HH using a 16" Dob and an Astronomik H.Beta filter. I have since bought another H.Beta filter but I have not seen it since.

I have a TeleVue Nebustar UHC filter and its bandwidth covers the 486 line so I will try again this winter.

If I was going to a really dark site I think I would try using a UHC filter  buying a H.Beta filter.

Kielder is very dark. If it"s clear I will use the UHC on the flame neb and have a go at the HH while I am in the area.