SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Upcycle Observatory Build

Chris

1 minute ago, RobertI said:

Exos-2-PMC-8.....interesting....

Yes, on paper it has alot going for it. proper bearings on both axis, micro stepper motors, and belt drive. You can control it wirelessly using a windows laptop and Explore Stars which is Explore  Scientific's open source goto and control software. I'm wary about wifi control after the Astro FI I reviewed but this one is supposed to work ok with Windows. I'm not sure I would have risked buying it if it was IOS and Android only. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Yes, on paper it has alot going for it. proper bearings on both axis, micro stepper motors, and belt drive. You can control it wirelessly using a windows laptop and Explore Stars which is Explore  Scientific's open source goto and control software. I'm wary about wifi control after the Astro FI I reviewed but this one is supposed to work ok with Windows. I'm not sure I would have risked buying it if it was IOS and Android only. 

Sounds very well specced Chris. Smart move to make the control software open source I think. Look forward to seeing how it goes. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost roof anointment time! The roof is now the correct size which took a fair amount of remedial work, so definitely measure 3 times and cut once guys. The roof was starting to sag in the middle too so I've re unforced it with metal rods and more brackets. I've also further re  unforced the rails and will add more to the main structure also.

IMG_20200920_164839021.jpg

IMG_20200922_183102164.jpg

IMG_20200922_183128289.jpg

IMG_20200920_164858611.jpg

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 8

Just caught up on your build thread again Chris, hence all the sudden likes from me again.
Looking great and nearing some completeness of initial build.
The video was great as well, you are on a roll sir.

Like the mount choice as well, be interesting to see how it does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

Just caught up on your build thread again Chris, hence all the sudden likes from me again.
Looking great and nearing some completeness of initial build.
The video was great as well, you are on a roll sir.

Like the mount choice as well, be interesting to see how it does.

Thanks for all the likes Alan, my notification inbox has never looked so good 😄 Yes once I've grabbed a hand to lift the roof on plus one or two other bits, it will basically be functional at the very least. Then all I need to do is electrics, paint and kitting out.

Cheers about the videos, I do really enjoy making vids about astronomy antics. This is why I've not even opened the new mount yet, I need to be ready to film the thing lol I'd better pull my finger out and finish the video I'm currently working on so I can actually do the mount unboxing/setup vid thinking about it.

I'm really hopeful about the mount despite having a bad experience with a wifi mount in the past. I know ES are really committed to ironing out any issues with the PMC8 and their open goto system. They have regular livestreams on Youtube to problem solve any issues that crop up so I'm hoping the system has a future with that attitude to making it work :)

11 hours ago, Skyline said:

Nice build Chris and nice garden. I uncloaked my pier the other day for a bit of visual observing. It saves so much time.

Thanks Nadeem, yes a pier is a definite time saver from what I remember. I'm glad I went that route after almost just sticking a tripod in there. Are you starting to get a bit more back into the swing of things astro wise?

Nearly there Chris.Your doing a grand job.

I take it the naming will be as in the title.

Pity PM has passed,he would have come and officially opened it for you.😂

Mick.

Mind you,would be over 100 now,so maybe not.🤔

Edited by astro mick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, astro mick said:

Nearly there Chris.Your doing a grand job.

I take it the naming will be as in the title.

Pity PM has passed,he would have come and officially opened it for you.😂

Mick.

Mind you,would be over 100 now,so maybe not.🤔

Thanks Mick, I will probably just call it the obsy. Funny you should say about Sir Patrick, I clearly remember getting first light in my last obsy the day he passed away. I imaged a nice Rosette nebula in his honour.  

• Like 3

I'd put it to SGL peps to suggest a name for my obsy, it was a nice thing to do I thought and I chose one of them and made a logo, lol. I had signs made up and a mug and mouse mat, lol. I know I'm a bit sad, lol. Just after all the hard work it was something nice to do to have a naming ceremony. The complex idea came for the fact I have a solar RoR too, lol.

IMG_20200826_113637.jpg

IMG_20200911_145502.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I'd put it to SGL peps to suggest a name for my obsy, it was a nice thing to do I thought and I chose one of them and made a logo.

That is a great idea Nigella.

Chris, how about 'The 3R Observatory' 
(Reuse, Repurpose, Recycle)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I'd put it to SGL peps to suggest a name for my obsy, it was a nice thing to do I thought and I chose one of them and made a logo, lol. I had signs made up and a mug and mouse mat, lol. I know I'm a bit sad, lol. Just after all the hard work it was something nice to do to have a naming ceremony. The complex idea came for the fact I have a solar RoR too, lol.

It's a good idea, Nigella, I've not heard of anyone else doing that before. Nice to get people involved. 

p.s. My running club is called Ipswich Phoenix RC, so liking the Phoenix :)

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1