Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Upcycle Observatory Build

Chris

Today I finished the flooring, took apart the old shed. Realised it was even more rotten than I first thought. Bought more timber for the extra repairs. Started repairing and modifying the shed walls, and turned a tent into a makeshift tool shed.

IMG_20200822_190601007.jpg

IMG_20200822_190641181.jpg

IMG_20200822_184116089.jpg

IMG_20200822_184057943.jpg

IMG_20200822_192156181.jpg

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 7

Hi, Chris,

I'll be watching your progress with interest as I'm looking to do something similar. Unfortunately our old 8X6 shed has already been converted into a wood store, a fence to block the wind from the greenhouse and a cold frame, using the shed windows at the top. :)  So I'll be using a new cheap shed for the conversion.

Just to clear up about the plywood; Marine Ply normally has 5 layers which are glued together with exterior grade glue. It also has better quality wood which has no voids between the layers and is stronger then the standard ply. It's not waterproof, as the wood isn't treated with anything, it just resists water for exterior uses.

Standard ply normally only has 3 layers and interior grade glue. When cut you may see voids between the layers from knots in the wood. If it gets wet for a long period or regularly then it may start to de-laminate.

If you're using normal ply then give the edges a good soak with the wood preserver before you put the walls up, as that's where any water is likely to leach into the ply. ;)

Good luck with the rest of the build and keep those videos coming! 👍

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

Hi, Chris,

I'll be watching your progress with interest as I'm looking to do something similar. Unfortunately our old 8X6 shed has already been converted into a wood store, a fence to block the wind from the greenhouse and a cold frame, using the shed windows at the top. :)  So I'll be using a new cheap shed for the conversion.

Just to clear up about the plywood; Marine Ply normally has 5 layers which are glued together with exterior grade glue. It also has better quality wood which has no voids between the layers and is stronger then the standard ply. It's not waterproof, as the wood isn't treated with anything, it just resists water for exterior uses.

Standard ply normally only has 3 layers and interior grade glue. When cut you may see voids between the layers from knots in the wood. If it gets wet for a long period or regularly then it may start to de-laminate.

If you're using normal ply then give the edges a good soak with the wood preserver before you put the walls up, as that's where any water is likely to leach into the ply. ;)

Good luck with the rest of the build and keep those videos coming! 👍

Martin

Thanks Martin, that's really useful to know. I've just counted 5 layers including the outside layers and not seen any voids so it seems like I'm in luck! I've almost finished off a giant tin of Cuprinol wood preserver too. All surfaces and edges of the floor frame and ply flooring have had two coats so far, so hopefully it's well protected :)

Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Build is looking good, I love to see what others are building, well done.

Thanks NIgella, hopefully I can get a few more hours done today if the weather stays dry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gina said:

No problem with grass growing here - plenty of rain!!!  Devon is decidedly damp (except in a heat wave!!).

Lush green here as well Gina. Sunny Devon, where it rains eight days out of seven, lol. Except in a heat wave, lol. Good bortle 3/4 sky though when you see it, lol. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gina said:

No problem with grass growing here - plenty of rain!!!  Devon is decidedly damp (except in a heat wave!!).

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

lush green here as well Gina. Sunny Devon, where it rains eight days out of seven, lol.

Something in common with Cheshire, then 🙂

Both Devon and Cheshire cows love the grass 🙂

And I love their cheese 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's been chucking it down this evening so any wondering cows will soon be a little happier with my grass :)

Today's progress:

1 ) Finished repairing the 4 main walls of the shed. This was a bigger job than I thought requiring another trip to buy some 8' feather board today. 

2 ) Online shopping for castors and track. Opinions on these would be good before I hit the button if peeps don't mind (3 x 3m tracks, and 6 wheels for £147 delivered)

https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/0587504000__3_metre_Track_for_20mm_Round_Grvd_Wheels_in_Galvanised_Steel

https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/0515W001__Wheel_80mm_x_20mm_Round_Track_Max_300kgs 

3) I've been thinking about the roof and I'm leaning towards using the materials from the pitch roof to build a lighter pent roof. 

• Like 2

I used the same track but bigger wheels.  Very well made.  Very smooth and easy running.  I used 4 x 120mm diameter wheels with a very substantial and solid apex roof.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good, I revamped a 10ftvx 6ft she'd into a solar obsy last winter. Makes a real difference to observing. We'll done on the build. The shed roof was leaking and some of the sides were rotten. It's now a computer room and 6ftx6ft roll off roof section. 

IMG_20200818_154048.jpg

IMG_20200818_154137__01.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Pics added
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, astro mick said:

Its a great read Chris,you actually seem to know what your doing🤣🤣🤣.

No its looking really good,and hats off to you.

Following with keen interest.

Mick.

Haha! Thanks Mick, and don't worry my reputation is safe! I some how managed to completely mess up the width of the roll of roof, so I'll need to literally saw inches off one side and some how re attach the wheels lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Looking good, I revamped a 10ftvx 6ft she'd into a solar obsy last winter. Makes a real difference to observing. We'll done on the build. The shed roof was leaking and some of the sides were rotten. It's now a computer room and 6ftx6ft roll off roof section. 

IMG_20200818_154048.jpg

IMG_20200818_154137__01.jpg

Nigella, that's one picturesque recycled shed obsy you've put together! It's hard to believe it was once a rotten shed like mine so I'll take the inspiration, thanks :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the rails are getting there. I used 18" deep foundations for the upright posts and will be adding metal brackets as well as the wooden brackets. I need to take a about 9" off the width of the roof because I'm an idiot, but once that's done and on the rails I'll add some cross bracing to the front of the rails. 

Oh and the door needed a tad bit if filler.

IMG_20200913_170324209.jpg

IMG_20200913_170354925.jpg

IMG_20200913_170403508.jpg

• Like 5