Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

Hughsie

NGC 7023 - Work in Progress

Since the end of May in between bad weather and Solar imaging I have managed to accumulate 19 hours of data on NGC 7023. The final image will be printed, framed and passed on as a gift so I would really welcome your feedback before I commit to the print run.

Many thanks,

John

NGC7023_LRGB.png

• Like 10

I can’t offer any expert opinion on how to make it any better - I just think it looks stunning. Would make an amazing picture to grace a room. 

• Thanks 1

Excellent image, not an easy target by any means.

• Thanks 1

Very good.

• Thanks 1

I would like to bring out the darker dust some more and imagine I need to work on my mask technique in PixInsight.

In hindsight sticking the nebula in the centre of the frame seemed like a good idea at the time but there is so much more nebulosity going on north of the nebula that makes it a lot more interesting. A bit more research on other similar images and framing needed next time.

Thank you all for your positive responses and if anyone has a different view I am open to that too.

John

12 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

but there is so much more nebulosity going on north of the nebula

Mosaic ?

Posted (edited)

That would be a first for me Mark. I am looking at a suitable target that I could get my eye in on over two panes, ideally a narrow band target so watch this space. I don't really want to go back to this target as the weather is so poor who knows when I would finish it.

My wife has no plans for me to change camera/gear so I can catch up again in 2021!

Edited by Hughsie
  • Like 1

Looks very nice - plenty of the dark dust picked up, but I'm not sure how well that will print. Whenever I get something printed, the faint stuff always seems to get lost.

By North, do you mean "down" - because I think your image might be upside down. Easy to turn a print around, though :)