Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Dielectric Diagonal

Andy38416

Afternoon,

Although not an ‘eyepiece’ I thought this was the closest forum to ask about a diagonal.

i just wondered if anyone has used the new(ish) Celestron dielectric diagonal with the twist lock function? 

https://www.celestron.com/products/dielectric-star-diagonal-1-25-with-twist-lock

it comes in a 2 inch and 1.25 inch version but couldn’t find any reviews or mentions of it.

I’m thinking or upgrading the stock prism diagonal on my Nexstar 8se and wondered how it performed. I’m looking at the 1.25 inch version as not interested in going down the 2 inch EP route.

Edited by Andy38416
Typo

I found one here: https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-dielectric-star-diagonal-125-with-twist-lock.html and another here: https://www.amazon.com/Dielectric-Star-Diagonal-1-25-Twist/dp/B07VRSL37R

They don't seem very popular. Maybe that is because of the price: £139. (Amazon asks $129 + costs)

Anyway, other brands will also work on your 127 SLT. I replaced my 6SE celestron diagonal with a William Optics dielectric 1.25" and it was a major improvement!

Good luck! Do let us know how you like the Celestron if you decide to buy it.

I have recently bought a Skywatcher 1.25 inch diagonal to use in a small mak-cassegrain. This one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/SWdiagonal-20967.html

Although it does not have the twist lock eyepiece clamp that the Celestron does, it is otherwise identical and my guess is made by the same manufacturer. I bought mine 2nd hand for somewhat less than the new price and a lot, lot less than the Celestron item is listed at.

The diagonal works very nicely but I don't think I would pay £100 plus for one, even with the twist lock clamp.

• Like 1

Any decent dielectric diagonal will be a substantial improvement on the frankly poor diagonals that come with Celestron SCTs (at least the ones I bought in the past). A bigger upgrade, I remember, than any new eyepiece. You can probably find one from Sky-Watcher or another more affordable brand that will be far cheaper, though you may not get the same twist lock. Likelihood they will all have come from the same Chinese factory.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I was unsure to go for a dielectric mirror or a prism. I was looking at the baader T2 prison, but with the extra items needed goes to around £100.

i do really like the look of the celestron one, it would obviously go with my 8SE very well, but it does seem that the cost is a little high. That’s probably why I can’t find anyone who actually has one.

I would get a mirror diagonal for an SCT.  Good quality prism diagonals work well in slow refractors. not so sure if the bring the same benefits to an SCT ?

By all means buy the Celestron if you like it's looks but be aware that you are probably paying £70 for those looks. The underlying diagonal is the same as the Skywatcher one and almost certainly made by Synta who make Skywatcher stuff and own the Celestron brand now.

• Like 1

That’s a really good point, probably not worth the extra just for looks. This hobby can be such a money pit if you let it, which sometimes I do.

I might look at getting the William Optics 1.25" DURA-BRIGHT Dielectric Diagonal for £92 from FLO, still looks good and has good reviews. 

thanks for help.