Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Network Nebula, and an interesting shockwave.

RobH

Hello all,

This was imaged on the 25th and 29th November(Ha) and the 9th December(OIII).

It was an early evening target before Orion cleared the trees and could really do with more subs I think, especially the OIII.

I've been playing around with it for a week or so, and managed to produce a highly overprocessed version, and last night went back to the beginning and started again.

This is Ha (red), synth Green (Noels' actions) and OIII (blue). No luminance layer was used.

Imaged with my WO zs80FD

Atik 16HR

Astronomik filters

Ha 20 x 8 minutes

OIII 9 x 8 minutes

Subs all unbinned.

One side effect of pushing my oroginal attempt at processing too far, was that I seem to have caught what I think is called a 'bow shock' (correct me if I'm wrong please!)

I've cropped this section and posted it too, as I find it very interesting to see the red Ha shockwave, and right behind it the blue colour from the Oxygen.

This has Ha used as luminance.

Cheers

Rob

11722_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

11723_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is extraordinarily beautiful Rob, amazing image, simply amazing.

Please please please post all of your "highly overprocessed version"s as well, some of us are starting to doubt that you are, in fact, human.

I know i've mentioned this before, but these images really should be displayed on a website of their own.

Thanks for that one!

TJ

Thanks folks :)

TJ....I certainly wasn't feeling human at all on New Years Day :hello2:

Paul....TMB152. Its been sitting in the spare bedroom since just after Christmas, the mount (CGE) arrived earlier this week, but I have to make an adapter to fit the mount to my pier, and then get used to this meridian flip malarkey.

Hopefully, I'll have it all up and running by the weekend, in time for a significant birthday :D

Cheers

Rob

Thanks again for the kind words :D

Les, yes, it is really ticky not getting the whole thing overwhelmed by the starfield, especially when you start to stretch the image a bit.

This was the start of my mistakes in my first processing attempt. The stars overwhelmed it, so I used various star reduction techniques, combined with curves layers to stretch the neb, the whole thing got noisy, so I then used noise reduction etc etc. In the end I'd brought out a lot of info but it looked like a dogs dinner!

The second run didn't use a luminance layer, and I only used a couple of curves runs. I selected the backround and applied a bit of noise reduction to it. This was applied to the smaller stars too, which made them shrink into the background slightly, and allowed the nebula to come through.

Ron. I'm honoured that you should say that, I'm not really sure how to go about getting my stuff to a wider audience. Amanda chides me for not getting a website together, and she is right :hello2:

Cheers

Rob

Ron. I'm honoured that you should say that, I'm not really sure how to go about getting my stuff to a wider audience. Amanda chides me for not getting a website together, and she is right :hello2:

Cheers

Rob

Try PBASE.COM I have used it for a year and its pretty good for uploading and showing of your fine work ron its not free but not expensive either

Les

Cheers

Rob

Try PBASE.COM I have used it for a year and its pretty good for uploading and showing of your fine work ron its not free but not expensive either

Les

Hi. Les, As much as I would love to be the author of these splendid Images, your suggestion on the image display site is meant for Rob.

I'm a bit away from that class. :laughing2:

Ron.

Hi Paul.

It's F8, so should be perfect for large to medium sized galaxies with the 16HR, and I plan to try it with something like a 2x powemate to take it up to 2400mm FL for smaller objects.

I can also take it down to F4, and use it with the rather nice SXV H16 I got for Christmas :hello2:

Cheers

Rob

and then get used to this meridian flip malarkey.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH!!! The great leveller!!

It's tricky Rob, much easier to image just one side fo the flip, thats for sure. LP gradients and such go all over the place as the image is inverted after the flip. I seem to struggle to get the target re-centered the same as well.

If you can use EQMod, it has some very useful settings, you can set the slew limits, and define the mounts behaviour upon reaching the limits.

Are you coming to Hereford btw?

Good evil laugh there Tim!

Unfortunately, due to obstuctions, I have to image on both sides of the meridian. The rotating focusser on the TMB looks the business though, so that should make life a lot easier.

I guess I'll get used to it in the end :hello2:

I doubt I'll be at Hereford. I hope to be getting the rig running with the new gear , and practice my flips!

What do you think the first target should be?

I was thinking maybe M1.

Cheers

Rob

M1 would be great. Followed by M2, M3, M4 etc etc, then the whole of the NGC catalogue.

The real pain of the flip is, that just as the target reaches its most advantageous point for imaging, you have to alter things. The rotating focusser should help a lot, not all tubes have that luxury :hello2:

Hope it goes well.

H16, very nice.

The uni got one in summer, but due to the astronomy dept being useless when it comes to anything practical, it only ever gets used when ally (ngc2403) and I are up there.

Ally and I are going to do a complete investigation of the camera, with regards to QE and the various other parameters affecting its photometric accuracy.

I shall send the results when we have them, if you like.

The TMB should be awesome.

Im green.

Paul

Useless is rather a strong description Paul. It seems to be a rather expensive device to buy, if only two are going to benefit from it. Who does the teaching, or educating up there.

Besides, there is more to astronomy than Imaging, so perhaps the others excel in other fields or allied sciences. I am sure your remark was a light hearted one, and not intended to cause offence to your colleagues. I hope I have not give the impression that imaging is unimportant, on the contrary, it is a vital part of astronomy, but so are all the other aspects.

Ron.

yes. our department are intellectually very good. All excel in their fields, we have quite a few solar physicists, a few cosmologists, plasma theorists, and a radio telescope genius.

i said they lacked practical astronomy skills, imaging/observing, I didnt say they were useless at everything, just lacking when it comes to practical stuff.

They have gotten better, because ally and I go the uni obs director and we discuss ideas. In one way or another ally and I have caused a new spark of practical astronomy stuff. We told them of the quality of the ZS66, they now have 8 80mm Rev Apos, they now have the same 12" meade dob, that ally and I used at the burn so effectively. We came back from astrofest with a bunch of leaflets, including the Sheylak LHiRes3 spectrometer and Starlight express camera. They now have a sheylak and H16.

The uni obs director has lots of plans he wants in place, including a paramount. So kudos to him, he is trying to move forward and improve all the time. They now have some great equipment, but ally and I helped by showing them what can be done with the simple equipment, and then finding newer better stuff. Of course, we need money if we are to get a paramount. And we need a new scope

with the exception of our uni obs director most of the rest have had little or no practical experience, and some dont want any practical experience.

And how did this subject begin.

With galileo and a telescope. Those times are gone. i am amazed they are replacing hubble, why bother?

All of astronomy now is equations. No exceptions, every observed process in hubble images is explained with maths.

Want to improve your astronomy?

learn calculus, dont buy a bigger scope.

thats my honest opinion

Paul

my lecturers are great, funny and very approachable. they are very clever. Learning astronomy from them is enjoyable, and I wouldnt trade them for other lecturers. I am not really referring to them so much as the entire subject of astronomy, which is dictated by maths, not observation

Archived