Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 130 or 150 pds for astrophotography

I'm planning on buying a new scope, its either the Sky watcher Telescope N 130/650 ( https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-telescope-n-130-650-explorer-130pds-ota/p,25455 ) or the 150 variant ( https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-telescope-n-150-750-explorer-bd-ota/p,15564 )

I have compared the FOV in stellarium and the 130 can fit more of the big objects, Orion etc, but the 150 pds has more "zoom"....

Do you recommend going for 130 or 150pds?

there is also a 200 variant but that's to big for my heq5 pro.

My camera is Asi 1600mm pro with filters.

I also need to buy a coma corrector and its either this --->https://www.astroshop.eu/flatteners-correctors-reducers/baader-mpcc-mark-iii-multi-purpose-newton-coma-correktor/p,33547

or this one --->https://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/skywatcher-coma-corrector.html

I think the baader is a better choice, I have read that the sky watcher coma corrector doesnt have anti glare coating.

Edited by Calzune

Hello

I thought I would respond as I have recently been getting into astrophotography and have been exploring the same gear you are looking at.

I ended up getting the 150PDS scope instead of the 130PDS as I wanted that extra rage, but from what others may say there is not a lot in it and using Stellarium like you have show the difference. From what I've read on here some prefer the 130PDS because its smaller and is less of a windsail. Looking at your signature you have a HEQ5 pro which will be a perfect mount for either and will be suitable for astrophotography with both scopes. I wanted that mount but due to the delays I have actually ended up getting the EQ6-R Pro.

As you are using a camera with filters you might find the focuser might need replacing with something more substantial. I am only using my Canon 600d dSLR at the moment but I have read posts on here where users with dedicated astro cameras and filters have needed to replace the stock focuser.

As for the coma correctors i'm currently working my way through that minefield and have settled on the Explore Scientific Coma Corrector because with the SW and Baader versions  can cause the focuser draw tube to intrude into the light path with lower power eye pieces. Also with the Baader if you want the maximum aperture you need several attachments to achieve the optimum 55mm distance to the camera sensor so the price then gets very close to the Explore Scientific version.

I'm now learning about the 2" and 1.25" adaptors that come with the scope and how if you want to change you need to consider the lengths otherwise you screw up the focusing. It seems if you try to improve one thing you break something else.

5 hours ago, Greg Shaw said:

Hello

I thought I would respond as I have recently been getting into astrophotography and have been exploring the same gear you are looking at.

I ended up getting the 150PDS scope instead of the 130PDS as I wanted that extra rage, but from what others may say there is not a lot in it and using Stellarium like you have show the difference. From what I've read on here some prefer the 130PDS because its smaller and is less of a windsail. Looking at your signature you have a HEQ5 pro which will be a perfect mount for either and will be suitable for astrophotography with both scopes. I wanted that mount but due to the delays I have actually ended up getting the EQ6-R Pro.

As you are using a camera with filters you might find the focuser might need replacing with something more substantial. I am only using my Canon 600d dSLR at the moment but I have read posts on here where users with dedicated astro cameras and filters have needed to replace the stock focuser.

As for the coma correctors i'm currently working my way through that minefield and have settled on the Explore Scientific Coma Corrector because with the SW and Baader versions  can cause the focuser draw tube to intrude into the light path with lower power eye pieces. Also with the Baader if you want the maximum aperture you need several attachments to achieve the optimum 55mm distance to the camera sensor so the price then gets very close to the Explore Scientific version.

I'm now learning about the 2" and 1.25" adaptors that come with the scope and how if you want to change you need to consider the lengths otherwise you screw up the focusing. It seems if you try to improve one thing you break something else.

thanks for the only answer=)

I went for the 150PDS with baader coma corrector, it arrives tomorrow =D